Logo

140 evinrude

G

gary armstrong

just wondering about water pu

just wondering about water pump does water come out of each thermosate equal pull one hose loose and and water run good pulled other hose and very little water came out can you explain the way the water goes in and out of the engine thanks gary

"Gary.... The water enters the

"Gary.... The water enters the powerhead first and circulates through the various water passages there. The water then exits from the cylinder heads at the lower water casting (where the hose attaches)... and at that point the water enters the thermostat (vernatherm) area. In that thermostat area, there are also water bypass valves which allow water to bypass the thermostats at a high rpm if needed. However, pertaining to the thermostats, when they open at approximately 143°/148°, the water continues on its way to an exit which are slots or holes just above the cavitation plate (the plate above the prop)and to the rear of it.

Pertaining to the difference in water escaping from those lower castings in the heads when you remove the hoses... ignore that. That's due to the fact that the water entering the powerhead is simply closer to one head outlet than the other. When the engine is together as it should be, this water pressure equalizes. In short, what you're seeing is normal.

Joe
"

thanks joe one more for you m

thanks joe one more for you my water pressure guage does not work when i pull the hose loose i get no water so water does not enter the hose to the guage thanks gary

"Gary.... As I mentioned, the

"Gary.... As I mentioned, the water pressure goes to the powerhead first, and foremost it goes to the exhaust baffle manifold cooling area (the wide plate between the cyl heads) if it's a crossflow engine. The water telltale outlet hose (where the water pressure gauge should be spliced into) should be located at the lower starboard (right) corner of that plate..... if this is a crossflow type V/4 140. Refresh my memory as to what year this 140hp is.

At any rate... if you have no water coming out that fitting where the water gauge is connected, and you're sure the water pump is okay, I would venture a guess that the connector at the block is clogged with salt, sand, something. Remove the hose and blow the fitting out with pressurized air.

Joe
"

Back