Logo

37 litre anti freeze in cylinders

matt

" Boat was just put in the wat

" Boat was just put in the water after sitting for the winter (New York state)and I found anti freeze in the #1 & #4 cylinders after having some starting problems. I crancked the engine without the spark plugs to blow out the anti freeze, sprayed some oil in the cylinders and called it quits for the day. The marina mechanic called me a couple of days later and said that my boat was ready to go! He said the plugs were gasoline fouled not anti freeze. I know what anti freeze looks like, smells like and feels like and believe me it was 100% anti freeze in those cylinders. I told him this and he said "well there is none in there now and it runs fine". How could this happen over the winter without something being cracked? I test drove the boat for 30 mins. and it was fine! Any ideas? Thanks. "

MATT

I WOULD HAVE THE HEAD

MATT

I WOULD HAVE THE HEAD GASKET CHANGED AND THE HEAD PRESSURE TESTED. 3.7'S ARE AN ALUMINUM BLOCK WITH A CAST IRON HEAD. DIFFERENCE IN THERMAL EXPANSION IS THE PROBLEM. ALSO ANTI-FREEZE RUNS THRU THE INTAKE SO CHECK THE GASKETS.

CATASTOPHIC FAILURE IS NOT FAR BEHIND.

STEVE

Back