Logo

Throttle shaft fuel leak

M

Mike Wilson

" I need two new carbs and Mer

" I need two new carbs and Mercury does not make them anymore. Does anybody know where to find some carbs, or has a fix to leaking throttle shafts? I have a 1990 40 hp 4 cylinder. "

Are you sure that fuel is lea

Are you sure that fuel is leaking at the throttle shafts.An air leak I could understand.There should not be any fuel that high up to leak. What are the problems with the motor???

" Mercury 40 ELHPTO s/n OC25

" Mercury 40 ELHPTO s/n OC251887
The carb openings are horizontal and point toward the back and the fuel bowl is below that. The throttle shaft is top to bottom, little return spring at end. I believe it is coming out of both carbs. When I push in key (fuel enrichment or primer) you can see the fuel drip out the bottom of throttle shaft. When running the engine it is sucking so it does not leak at that time. It is when sitting flat or trimmed.
Boat dealer said a carb rebuild would not fix problem. I talked to a different dealer on the phone and they said sometimes the fuel will leak out past the shaft. (some kind of bushing or press fit worn out) Carbs no longer available.
Great running engine, idles good, good torque just has developed this leak. I dont know what to do. Maybe somebody at mercury would know.
Please Help! "

Did not leak for the first tw

Did not leak for the first two years I had the boat.

Back