Logo

Lower end vent screw

B

BlindActions

" I have a 73 165hp mercruiser

" I have a 73 165hp mercruiser stern drive. The botton "fill screw" is obvious, but I can't find a "vent" screw or "upper" screw. I just aquired the boat, but have no way of checking or refilling the lower end gear lube.

Can anyone help?

Thom "

" hey i have a 1986 bayliner c

" hey i have a 1986 bayliner ceirra sunbridge wchev350 and volvo penta outdrive. last week my out drive started slipping like a clutch at about one third throttle. the only thing i could find was that the drive lever was out of adjustment in the forward position. i fixed that , but have not been able to water test it yet. the prop will not turn in gear with the engine off ,feels good. could that have been my problem ? it has neer acted up like that before. i was just wondering if anybody out there was knowledgeable about that set-up. any help would be greatly appreciated!
-steve "

" Well, that has to be the dum

" Well, that has to be the dumbest response yet.

To the first post, (and resonable post). I had a 75 the vent screw was tucked under the upper fin on the lower unit. About 5 inches above the drain. "

" I believe if you check the u

" I believe if you check the upper housing, you will find a vent screw on the side. Unlike OMC, (2 separate gear oil housings), Mercruiser oil travels from the bottom gear case through a channel to the upper gear case for lubrication. Have a great day. "

" Steve, I apologize for th

" Steve, I apologize for the incorrect information given above. Using a Chev engine, I jumped to the conclusion of a Mercruiser stern drive, EVEN THOUGH, you clearly stated a Volvo drive unit. Now, on the top of the Volvo unit, you should find a s/s screw that is actually the dip stick for the amount of oil in the unit. Remove that screw as the vent. Have a great day. "

Back