Logo

OMC Cobra lower unit removal

C

CJ

" Does anyone know if I can dr

" Does anyone know if I can drop the lower unit (foot) on my 87' OMC Cobra (4.3L) without taking the whole drive off? The gear oil is drained but I don't want to take the whole thing off if I don't have to. I just need to get to the water supply tube to replace the seal.
I know the shift linkage needs to be turned 90 degrees to get it out of the way, but how do I do that?

THX,
CJ "

has to come out.. you can fre

has to come out.. you can freely turn the rod once the unit is out.. taking the drive off is quite simple!!

" So, the entire outdrive has

" So, the entire outdrive has to be removed in order to take the lower unit off???

I had hoped to avoid that because I've heard nightmare stories about getting it back on without a good hoist. I'll be in my driveway without any assistance. How heavy is the outdrive? "

" I have taken mine on and off

" I have taken mine on and off many times all by myself.. and mine is hanging on a boat lift over the water! One slip and the drive is in the soup!

Here is a hint though.. put the drive in the lowered position, raise the bow until the drive is about 6" off the ground. Loosen the bolts and disconnect the rams... Rock the drive up and down pulling back.. when it releases just pull it off and set it down.

To reinstall put the drive back on the ground line up the driveshaft and insert it.. then lift the drive up and slide.. if it stops a few inches from going in you may have to get a screwdriver and rotate the u-joint a bit to align the splines... sounds more complicated than it is.. Good Luck "

" CJ--THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING

" CJ--THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME WITH MY OMC PROBLEMS--TOOK A WEEKS VACATION WITH-OUT INCIDENT AND HAD FUN. AGAIN, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EVER IN FLORIDA--YOU GOT MY NUMBER--CALL....LEON. "

Back