Logo

Water in oil 57L

J

james bricker

"Can anyone help? I'm new

"Can anyone help? I'm new to boating but not to auto engines. I have a 89 stingray with a mercruiser 5.7 350 engine. I just bought the boat two weeks ago and ran it 3 times so for. Today I was towed in because the boat shut down and when I opened the hatch to see if I could tell what was wrong I saw oil in the bilge. Before I saw the oil I tried to fire her back up and it cranked slow so I stopped then found the oil. Does it have a automatic shutdown or did I hurt the engine?? Toinght I checked the dipstick and valve cover openings where you add oil and white sludge everywhere! Question is is it the head gasket,intake gasket,exaust gasket,or risers? I don't really understand what the risers do or how they would let water into the oil. I didn't find a oil leak either but rite before the engine shut down the oil pressure was rising. Is it possible the water pressure entering the engine made the oil come out of the dipstick tube? I will do a compression test tommorrow but I was just wondering if someone out there could point me in the rite direction?Please e mail me at hawdragon@optonline .net Thanks in advance!!"

Yank the risers and look for

Yank the risers and look for rot holes especially if you are operating in a salt water enviornment. Are you fresh water cooled? Is it antifreeze or water in the oil? Get the water out now. Take the belt off the raw water cooling pump if you plan on doing the compression test dry as impeller damage can result.

It is a freashwater cooled en

It is a freashwater cooled engine. Not antifreeze.I just pulled the risers off and they do look rusty and corroded inside. Nothing like the ones on the site you sent me but still I see a few flakes of rust in the ports and if I push on the sides more comes off. How do I know if they are cracked or bad. How do they allow water to enter my oil? Does it drip down into the valves? Why do you think my engine shut down? Do boats have a low oil shut down or something or was the engine just choked by the mixture? Any help is great. Thanks a million!!

Typically risers are replaced

Typically risers are replaced every five years. Is the rust on the exhaust side of the riser or only the water jacket? Do you have a log type manifold (Riser at the back) or a center riser manifold? When one goes water goes from the water jacket into the exhaust chamber then into any open exhaust valve into the cylinder pass the rings filling the crankcase and mixing with oil (a gooy chockolate milk color)and as the pressure increases and since you can't compress water it is forced out the dip tube and breathers. Basically you shut down due to the pistons not being able to compress water. Any sign of overheating? 350s are pretty tough. Could still be a head gasket. Salt water use? Bet you have center risers. When center risers leak it has more exhaust valves to get in while underway. What state are you in? Pretty sure we can rule out a cracked block since you ran it twice before. If you haave rust on the exhaust chamber I think if you keep cleaning the rust you'll find a hole. Best of luck.

Yeah it has some rust on the

Yeah it has some rust on the exaust ports as well. I'm in new york and have only run the boat in the hudson river. North of the city so it's freash water. I don't think it's a head gasket because I compression checked each cylnder and came up with 130 lbs as the lowest and 150 as the highest. I'm going to go ahead and replace both the risers and exaust manifolds. My marina gave me a deal and saved me $100 over west marines prices on all 4 peices. So for peice of mind I'll spend a little more and do the manifolds as well as the risers instead of just doing the risers and haveing to get towed in again and do the job over. I'm getting all 4 peices for $500.00. they cost $610 at west marine so I guess it's a good deal. Uninstalled of course!Thanks alot for all the help and info!! I'll let you know if this does not solve the problem. If your ever in stony point n.y. I'll buy you a beer! Thanks again!!!

Back