Logo

What gives

H

Hogwild

" I think this board has a lot

" I think this board has a lot of potential.

But I wish more people would answer the posts.

As a new boater, most of my questions are general.

I recognize the technical nature of the questions and great amount of experience here.

Still, I've found the lack of responses dissapointing.

Just my .02

Rob "

"Rob.... If the question perta

"Rob.... If the question pertain to any engine except Evinrude and Johnson outboards, my replies will be missing as my expertise is with those engines only.

Even with the above, I retired some years ago and of course as such, my knowledge is lacking on some of the later and current models. I prefer not to answer those questions with guess work and wait for someone more knowledgeable in that particular engine to answer.

Also questions that can be answered using common sense such as "what size is a plug wrench" will most likely go unanswered.

If your question pertained to a engine whereas I might have an answer.... what was it?

Joe
"

" Thanks for the reply Joe.

" Thanks for the reply Joe.

From what I can see (number of replies)you are one of the most helpful/responsive people on the board.

I gathered that you had retired prior to 1997,
the year my Johnson Ficht 150 was made.

If there is anyone with Ficht maintenance experience out there - I'd like to hear from you.

I am a leisure boater - it is not my line of work - but I learn fast and am handy with tools.

I don't want to degrade the content of this board in any way - but for me - any/all information is helpful.

If I can contribute to any thread - I will.

Rob "

"Rob.... Understood. I too hop

"Rob.... Understood. I too hope that more knowledgeable people will be joining in here with replies to questions. It's a little difficult keeping up with the present flow of posts, and some of us are getting up in age and won't be here forever.

I saw your original question about the "Fitch" (sp?) engine but I have no knowledge of that engine's operations.

Joe
"

" What questions do you have?

" What questions do you have? Have been to Ficht school and have worked on quite a few. I have customers who both love them and hate them. The only post I've seen of yours was when you said you replaced one injector. It is very hard to diagnois a motor without physically being there. I believe the technicians that contribute their input have done an excellent job. I work 8-10 hrs a day at my outboard shop,and only get to this site once and awhile. I'm sure I miss alot of the posts, as do the other technicians, and I do my best to help with what I know. "

" Thanks Bill,

The motor re

" Thanks Bill,

The motor received the upgrades and has about 130 hours on it.

I just took the boat out of winter storage, it was drained (water)and fogged and the lower unit oil changed.

What maintenance should I do periodically to keep this engine running as best as it can?

Rob "

" Start by using good fuel and

" Start by using good fuel and oil,should be Ficht oil. You have a fuel/water seperator filter on the motor that I would change each year. Grease the grease points, including the one hidden by the trailer lock. Pull the prop and check for fishing line, then grease the propshaft before replacing the prop. I don't know how you are going to use this motor, but avoid trolling for hours on end. If you do a lot of trolling, stop trolling once in awhile and run the motor up to full power. This will help burn of some of the carbon build up on the plugs and prolong their use. If you must change you sparkplugs, don't forget they must be indexed when you install a new set. Your local dealer should be able to tell you how that is done. About the only other thing I can think of is the waterpump. Depending on your use and where you are using it, the impeller should be changed at least every few years. "

" Thanks for the tips.

I gu

" Thanks for the tips.

I guess I'll need to find a service manual to become familiar with the parts, grease nipples, trailer lock etc.

For the most part I'll be taking it to a dealer for regular service. I mainly want to know what to tell them to do. This year will be the impeller and filter. Thanks.

Are there any indications of a worn impeller or does it just fail?

Until me the boat has only seen Great Lakes use.

I'll be taking it to smaller , stained & weedy lakes as well.

I troll with a 9.9 kicker so the engine is usually running at 50-75% throttle.

I only use supreme gas and ficht oil. I always use carbon guard.

I have gapped, indexed and replaced the plugs.

I read a procedure to decarbonize the motor. Is this recommended / necessary? "

" Sounds like you are on the r

" Sounds like you are on the right track. You really don't need the premium fuel, mid-grade is fine. I believe in decarbonizing every hundred hours. You can order any of the manuals for this motor at your local Bombardier Johnson/Evinrude dealer. Owners manual # 213198. Service manual #507350. Parts manual #438719. Good luck! "

Back