Logo

1983 Johnson 140 Charging Problem

ross

" I can't seem to get this

" I can't seem to get this motor to charge the battery. I noticed a much earlier message that said that on the 84 version if the Tach worked the charging system was OK as the Tach was run off the charging system?

My Tach works fine, but I still get no charge at the battery? What wiring should be connected to the battery to ensure a charging circuit?

Thanks for any help you can Offer. "

I had a evinrude 120 that wou

I had a evinrude 120 that would not charge. turned out to be a rectifier/regulator. about $80 new. if you have a decent book and a voltmeter you can troubleshoot it pretty quick.

"Ross.... The 1983 140hp model

"Ross.... The 1983 140hp model has a small rectifier right alongside of the electrical terminal block on the starboard side of the engine. Three wires protrude from it, yellow, yellow/gray, and red.

Check to see that the red wire has 12 volts being applied to it.

The charging system operates as..... AC voltage is emitted from the stator (under the flywheel) to the rectifier. The rectifier converts that AC voltage to DC voltage, and from there applied that outgoing DC voltage to the battery via its connection to a DC (battery) voltage connection at the terminal block.

Joe
"

Back