Evinrude crankhead bearing question

• Thread starter Wayne LHerpiniere
  • Start date
W

Wayne LHerpiniere

" Joe,
I am rebuilding my

" Joe,
I am rebuilding my 1981 V4 140 Evinrude and would like to replace all crankshaft bearings. My local shop has told me that Bombardiar only supply the upper crankhead bearing in an assembly (with housing). I am wondering why I cannot just replace the bearings and seals (and save about $300)? The only thing I can think of is perhaps there is an alignment issue hence the lack of bearing only option from Bombardier. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks (again)
Wayne "

Those bearings are usually ok

Those bearings are usually ok to re-use.Is the upper journal worn at all or is it within factory specification.There really is not much load on the upper bearing.

" Sparky,
The journal

" Sparky,
The journal is within specs, with no scoring or marks out of the ordinary. The bearings look good with a little blueing of the rollers but I have been told that this is normal. I also thought that the centre bearing race should be replaced due to the finish, but the new bearing race looks the same. The upper assembly cost me $455 aust so if I don't have to replace, then I would prefer not to.
regs
W "

"Wayne.... The bearing can be

"Wayne.... The bearing can be purchased at most companies that specialize in bearings only. It can also be purchased at "Precision Mfg & Sales" in Clearwater, Fl (1-800-237-5947), their part #495.

Just make sure that it is installed properly ie depth, oil passage, etc.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks again. Do y

" Joe,
Thanks again. Do you know any particular brand as I am in Australia?.The original is a Torrington AJ-47495-1 but I can't find it on the net and the local bearing supplier didn't have it listed. I am tending towards cleaning and reusing (with new seal) as it looks pretty good.

regs
W "

" If the bearings are good why

" If the bearings are good why replace them.After all a bearing is only there to provide a shape for the oil to form a wedge to keep parts seperated. Look at the cutlass bearing on an inboard prop shaft, water lubricated and made out of rubber.Just use fine 400 paper on the shaft ( and centre bearing shell)and polish to get a cross hatch pattern, the oil will work its magic. "

" Joe/Sparky,
Than

" Joe/Sparky,
Thanks for your help, I guess I am a little cautious as I am new to powerhead rebuilds. The reality is that the bearings are serviceable, I just worry too much.
Thanks again.
Wayne "

Back