Logo

Can someone help an idiot with a 1960 Johnson 40

jon

Regular Contributor
" Here's your laugh for th

" Here's your laugh for the day. I removed the lower unit screw that goes through the housing and connects to a shifting component! Now I need to remove the lower unit to either try to fix it, or take it to someone who can. I am totally new at this, but USUALLY not incompetent with mechanical things. After finding this board and scouring the posts, I removed six bolts at the top of the lower unit (the upper group of six bolts). I opened the trap door and removed the lower hex screw on the shift-shaft coupler,which is now free. The boat side of the LU is pretty loose, but something very strong is preventing the prop side from seperating. What am I missing here? Thank you very much, you're really kind to help people like you do. "

Jon
Remove the small truss h

Jon
Remove the small truss head screws (I seem to remember 8 slot head screws) holding the outer middle exhaust housing. When that large cover is off the rear it will expose one more bolt in the LU from above the cav plate. That should do it. Let me know if you were successful.
Joe

" Joe,

That was it! Thank y

" Joe,

That was it! Thank you. I think I got things back together correctly, but it took all the courage I could muster to fire that thing up! The one question mark is the shift-shaft. I had read that the groove in the shaft should line up with the hole in the connector. I could only get it to go to the point where the groove is just visible outside the connector.

I started it in a garbage can for a couple minutes. There was a little warm water spraying out of the top hole. There was so much turbulence from the underwater outlet that I couldn't see what the prop was doing. I could definitely hear changes when I shifted, though. I have a set of muffs, but the inlet is right in front of the prop, so I didn't try them. There's a long, thin screen on the side of the L.U. Is this a water inlet?

Lastly, as I tried to start the motor (the battery was weak and on a charger) I noticed several drops of fuel dripping from the sreen-like dome in front of the carb. Is this cause for concern?

Again, thank you for the help! It appears I've avoided the expense and down time of a trip to the shop. I hope to make my inaugaral run as skipper this weekend, and that motor's only a year older than me!

Have a good day/night...Jon "

If somebody said that the gro

If somebody said that the groove MUST line up then you MUST do that.If you run it with the shift out of adjustment somebody MUST pay.

" Really? What if I said it? Y

" Really? What if I said it? You MUST be crazy if you believe what I tell you about motors! I get your drift, though. I tried for half an hour to get that shaft in further! I had pliers on the lower rod and worked the shift lever to move the connector down towards it, and it just wouldn't go any further. Is there a trick to this? It seems to be aligned well with the upper rod. Outside of the difficulty in accessing it, I can't see why it won't cooperate. I'll try it tonight with a brighter flashlight. Thanks for the reply! "

Back