Logo

Prop for 85hp evinrude 1968

rghatton

"I have an older 85 hp evinrud

"I have an older 85 hp evinrude prabably a 1968 I need a prop for it but I'm not sure what I need. The shaft is 5-3/8" long at the unit it is about 1" in diam then it drops to 15/16 " then 13/16 " there is a 3/8" shear pin hole about 1-7/16 " from the back of the shaft and a 1/8 " hole behind that hole looking at the back of the shaft ther is a about a 1/4 " slot cut through the shaft about 1" deep. I want a prop for distance and economy not speed . The lower unit is not the original but works very well. I would really appreciate any help I can get on this
Thanks Ralph [email protected]

Ont. Canada"

"Ralph..... There are roughly

"Ralph..... There are roughly a half dozen props that fit that lower unit. I'm assuming that it is the type lower unit that has a one piece gear box.

However, if the lower unit is the type that does split at the center line of the prop such as, the skeg can be removed from the unit and is attached to the lower unit with 8 or 9 screws... that would be a lower unit that would fit your engine but is from a 1958/59 50hp V/4 engine.

The props from the two units do no interchange.

The prop size is always matched to whatever boat the engine is going on. Let us know exactly what type lower unit you have, and the size/type boat (18' Runabout - 20' Cabin Boat - 18' Bass Boat - etc) and we'll get back to you with a prop size and part number.

Joe
"

"Hi Joe

More problems with

"Hi Joe

More problems with 1968....85 hp V/4 electric shift, when I start the engine I can take off across the lake boat planes out nice. when I slow down and travel at no wake speed for a little while I cannot get the engine to rev up If I put the shift in nuetral and rev up the engine for a few seconds the put it in forward it will take off almost like the engine is flooding. I changed the plugs as they were black and wet now the new plugs are black and wet. I can travel as long as I want at high speed until I slow down then it won't pick up again until I rev it up in neutral to clear the carbs. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Ralph [email protected]"

"Hi Joe

More problems with

"Hi Joe

More problems with 1968....85 hp V/4 electric shift, when I start the engine I can take off across the lake boat planes out nice. when I slow down and travel at no wake speed for a little while I cannot get the engine to rev up If I put the shift in neutral and rev up the engine for a few seconds the put it in forward it will take off almost like the engine is flooding. I changed the plugs as they were black and wet now the new plugs are black and wet. I can travel as long as I want at high speed until I slow down then it won't pick up again until I rev it up in neutral to clear the carbs. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Ralph [email protected]"

"Ralph.... That sounds like th

"Ralph.... That sounds like the engine is loading up (flooding) but you're able to burn the excess fuel at a high rpm.

Remove the face plate from the carburetors, then (with the engine NOT RUNNING pump that fuel primer bulb to see if any fuel is running through the carbs.

If they're not flooding, leaving all the fuel lines attached, remove the fuel pump (two long screws only), then put nuts on those screws so that the fuel pump is held together tightly at that area, then pump that fuel bulb again to see if fuel is running through that f/pump via a cracked/ripped diaphram.

Joe
"

Back