Logo

Engine stalls when put into gear

mashenden

" Engine starts great but when

" Engine starts great but when I put it (Mercrusier V6 Alpha 1) into gear, the engine shuts off.

Also, when I activate the cutout switch from within the engine compartment, the engine does same.

What does the cutout switch do?

What should happen when activating this switch?

Any other thoughts on why it is stalling? "

"Any other thoughts on wh

"Any other thoughts on why it is stalling?"

Your lower shift cable is Binding........
Replace it.....

" Somebody I know had a simila

" Somebody I know had a similar problem as his engine would shutdown when he put it in reverse. His problem turned out to be a damaged wire which would activate to engine kill switch when put into gear. You might have a short somewhere within the kill switch/throttle. I could be wrong since I don't know a lot about it, but maybe this will help. "

" Bondo,

Thank you for the

" Bondo,

Thank you for the info.

Can you explain why that would cause it to stall.

Also, how would I determine if the lower shift cable is binding? "

" THE CUTOUT SWITCH IS JUST TH

" THE CUTOUT SWITCH IS JUST THAT A CUTOUT, WHEN YOU SHIFT OUT OF FORWARD OR REVERSE IT KILLS THE ENGINE SO THE CLUTCH DOG CAN COME OUT OF THE GEAR NICE AND EASY,THE ENGINE MAY MISS ONE OR TWO FIRES SO YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT DID IT "

" Your interrupter switch may

" Your interrupter switch may just be bad and creating too much of a short, killing the engine. Most of the times its best just to replace the switch, but not without correcting the shift cable adjustment which is also critical for the shifting to operate correctly.
Sometimes however, the actual button on the switch is popping out too slow, because it may be dirty. If you clean it up and spray some lubricant on the button, (not the lever) It may just do the trick.
Gabriel Acher - Dania Marine Corp.1-800-748-7739 "

" I checked the switch. It is

" I checked the switch. It is working fine. Tested with multimeter. Opens and closes every time. Also, no problem in FWD, always in REV.

I removed switch, started and engaged gear. In FWD is went into gear, engine ran, but the trans would not come back out without killing the engine (presumably because it did not cutout to allow clutch to release engaged gear). In REV, the engine still stayed runing but it never went into gear... not sure what that proves.

I noticed there is a wire from the cutout switch to the distributor. What is that for?

Is it possible that REV is locked up, which is killing the engine?

Matt (1992 Bayliner 2052, V6, Alpha 1, Mercruiser) "

Back