Logo

Ford 427 marine

B

brian lavelle

" what is the best swap out en

" what is the best swap out engine/s for a set of 68 427's with v-drives? or where is the best place to look for a short block straight rotation, or any better ideas? "

"Brian I have a pair of 427 ch

"Brian I have a pair of 427 chri craft engines that have 278 hours on them they came out of a 41' chris conqueror they are fresh water cooled and have matching transmissions I drove the boat 85 miles before we took it apart if your interested e-mail me [email protected]"

I have to refit or find the wa

I have to refit or find the water pomp situated in front of the engines( ChrisCraft Ford 427)an additionnal part in this engine made of brass (not the intake pomp)anybody would have an idea where to find refitted ones? I need two of these.

"Brian:

Be sure to let peop

"Brian:

Be sure to let people in the hot rodding world know that you have two 427 Fords that can be saved. Nostalgia drag racing is becoming a big thing, and it would be a shame to see two 427s go to the scrap pile.

Jeff"

"There have been a lot of grea

"There have been a lot of great motors like the 427 pulled out due to minor ancillary stuff going wrong, that happens to any motor. People seem to get spooked just because the valves need adjustment or there may be a little dirt in the carb. Some of them even spring for a complete repowering. The need for regular maintenance is something all motors need, even the new ones you may spend $50,000 on.

There was a widow who was conned into a repower job after her husband passed away, and she spent a ton of money, and the yard "disposed of her husbands beloved 427 motors for her". I'll bet her husband is waiting for the mechanic to show up now!

The 427 marine motor belongs right where it is, in your boat. It is a real shame to see these beautiful marine motors pulled out only to be gutted, fitted with parts from Summit Racing, thrashed in some plastic wannabe kit car.

For marine parts, you may have to ask twice, and never bother asking at an auto parts store. Most of those guys don't even know Ford made a 427, and they wouldn't know a solid lifter if they saw one.

Check with Robert or Dan at the following links. They should be able to get you what you need.

Robert Henkel, Chris Craft Parts
http://www.chris-craft-parts.com/

Dan Cook Chris Craft Parts
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1178815254

There is also a ton of info on the marine 427 here, including photos of 427 intake and circulating pumps (which are directional specific, by the way, specific for port and starboard)

CHRIS CRAFT 427 MARINE ENGINE
http://www.network54.com/Forum/503931/thread/1149537911/last-1149537911

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Dogsharks/Motor%20Boating%20Article/affd6 cf6.jpg"

Paul"

Ford 427 Alignment/Paragon Tra

Ford 427 Alignment/Paragon Transmissions

Anyone have any good advice for doing an alignment yourself? A bit overwhelming for me. A marine mechanic also suggested I install flexible couplings. Does this help with minor alignment issues? Engine is out of line approximately .020".

"If all else fails for "ne

"If all else fails for "new" parts then how about checking ebay motors, boat parts.

I've found complete fresh h2o exhaust manifolds, 327Q intake manifold, 327Q thermostat housing and many other parts. Been lucky I guess.

The Ford 427 was part of the "FE" series of engines which shared many parts among the different engines. The 427 sideoilers are the improved versions of the topoilers.

I hope you don't have to repower because of a water pump needing replacement.

Best of Luck"

"Actually, not to be argumenta

"Actually, not to be argumentative at all, but I would not call the sideoiler an "improved" version of the FE. If you have one, it will cost you more to rebuild and people out there who know you MUST use a specific cam bearing for these motors are few and far between these days. The only basic difference between a sideoiler and topoiler, is the bearings get oil from the side, rather than the top. In racing this was supposed to give bearings a dedicated circuit so if you blew something up, you would still have "some" oil left on bearings that "might" allow you to finish the race and win. Yes, it was that competitive back then. In addition, they even put the side oil passage way on the port side of the motor, because NASCAR tracks turn to the left, and it would have a tendency to help force oil toward the bearings with the G force of the turn. In boating, NONE of that matters at all, and the centeroiler (also called topoiler) FE is one FINE motor in it's own, with no oiling problems. The side oil concept was intended for far extreme situations that boaters will never face. In addition, the topoiler FE won a whole lota NASCAR races all it's own. The entire FE family is a great series, and yes, cylinder heads from a 352 or 390 will bolt onto your 427 marine motor, because they're the same unless you get into performance parts.

Generic iron intakes, relatively low compression, a truck cam and that awesome cross bolted block, and you have something that will live a long time at 2900 rpm producing 438 footpounds of torque."

"for alignment of engines, yes

"for alignment of engines, yes, flexible couplings will forgive some sins of misalignment. Remember though that the installation of these tranny savers can push the hub of the prop beyond the recommended one inch maximum space between the prop hub and strut. This could lead to more vibration.

If your motor has the shoe style mounts it is fairly straight forward. You'll select the shoe(s) to adjust according to the gap. Then retighten the shoes. If it's a wooden planked boat it should be in the water a couple of weeks before attempting an adjustment."

Back