Logo

8hp johnson starter rope

L

Luv2Decoy

" Guys I need some advice. Th

" Guys I need some advice. The starter rope on my 1997 4-stroke sometimes will come out w/o engaging the starter in other words there is no restriction. I can pull on the rope dozens of times and it still does not engage the starter. I can take the rope assembly off, do nothing to it and reinstall it and everything works fine. A few hrs later it will not engage again. It is starting to frustrate me, does anyone have any ideas, my dealer tells me to just bring it in, however I am stubborn and not ready to quit trying. Thanks for any help in advance. "

" Next time you take it off, s

" Next time you take it off, shoot some lube in there. The catch that is supposed to spring out and engage the shaft is staying put. "

" Raybo thanks for the help.

" Raybo thanks for the help. Are you refering to the toggle looking affair or is that catch inside the rope pulley system. Or I could use my regular finesse and just spray the heck out of everything, HA. Thanks "

" Hey Decoy,
I am not familia

" Hey Decoy,
I am not familiar with that particular model but, it should work on the principle that when you let the rope back in, the toggle should trip back in place to engage the shaft. It might have a spring that is supposed to re-engage it or it could be simply worn out. You'll have plenty of time to take it apart and see what's wrong before duck season starts. (grin) Try the WD-40 thing first. Good luck and keep your powder dry........ "

" Will give it a thorough spra

" Will give it a thorough spraying, thanks for the help. This motor is for my "off season" boat. Not much water around Colo to float a boat blind, w/o traveling 200+ miles. Thanks for the help. Greg "

hi there
i might be able to

hi there
i might be able to reckomend some good lube the one that we use on the ships engines is called LD80 do not use WD40 at all it can cause more problems. THE LD80 lubercates the motor and cleans the where its sticking while WD40 MIGHT WORK anthor thing i found is good a bit of oil works as a good lubecate

JASON 20+ YEARS P&O CARGO LINES 5+ YEARS SPRIT OF TAS SHIP MECHAINC

hi its me again it sound like

hi its me again it sound like the little spring might be loose its not mich bigger then a fingernail so i would probley reckomend putting on a new spring and a bit of grease on the starter it helps it not slip out

JASON 20+ YEARS WITH P&0 CARGO LINES 5+ YEARS WITH SPRIT OF TAS AS MECHAINC

Back