Logo

1991 johnson 70 hp wonbt start just backfires after alarm went off PLEASE HELP

D

Dennis Cousins

" after starting motor tonite

" after starting motor tonite i realized that the water muff got pulled off. ran about 2 minutes and alarm sounded steadily. so i shut it down immediately, but now it won't start,it backfires.i took out the plugs and connected them to see if they were sparking properly and they seemed to be fine. could i haveblown the motor or coil or could it be a fuel blockage in my new plastic tank? "

" Hey Dennis....There is a goo

" Hey Dennis....There is a good chance that the head warped and is now blowing by...Remove the head,and lay a straight edge on it and see if it is Warped..If so, then come back on here with the info and someone will be able to tell you the best way to repair the warp..be sure to go back with a new head gasket... "

" Dennis -- Do what Tommy says

" Dennis -- Do what Tommy says, but before you do that, you mentioned using a new tank. I've seen many new tanks cause fuel starvation due to debris left in the tank from drilling operations during manufacture (including three of my own). Disconnect the fuel hose from the engine and hook that end to the tank. Then give the primer bulb a few quick squeezes to clear the clog. If this works, drain the tank and shake/flush out the debris. Chances are you have some in the primer bulb too so disassemble that and check it. "

Back