Logo

60hp Johnsonlosesregains power

W

Wilmington Rod

I have a 60hp Johnson. It sta

I have a 60hp Johnson. It starts and runs fine except for one intermittent problem. Sometimes when I'm running full speed the engine will die back to half speed(it feels like it loses rpms)for awhile and then after 20-40 mintues will start running at full power again. Once it loses the power the problem will remain through restarts.

"What year is your 60hp Johnso

"What year is your 60hp Johnson and what spark plugs are you using? Is the compression even on all cylinders? The spark (with the s/plugs out) should jump a 1/4" gap on all cylinders if the engine was built prior to 1973, and a gap of 7/16" if built from 1973 to the present. Are you saying that after you lose power, you continue to run for 20-40 minutes and then the engine kicks in with the power again... or are you saying that you let it sit for 20-40 minutes and then after re-starting, the sequence starts over? Give us a little more detail if possible.

Joe
"

" It's either a '94, &

" It's either a '94, '95, or '96(I'm currently at work). It ususally clears up after 20-40 minutes of running not sitting. In fact, if it is doing it when I stop for a while it will continue when I restart it.

The oil tank is a little low(maybe an inch high). A friend of mine thought that maybe when it bounced around it might be starving the engine of oil a little. Could that do it? I plan on fill the tank before I take it out again but it just didn't seem like the problem could be that simple.

Thanks for the help! "

Back