Logo

Wonbt spit out water

C

Carl Pycz

" My 1987 175hp Mercury outboa

" My 1987 175hp Mercury outboard will not spit out any water. I am definetly thinking it is the water pump. Any other suggestions?? If it is the water pump, how difficult is it to replace? Thanks for all your suggestions. "

" Carl, It probably is the wat

" Carl, It probably is the water pump or it cold be a thermostat problem. Do you have a CLYMER repair manual? I have one for my 35 hp Merc and it helps me a lot. From what is told to me, the water pump is not hard to replace. I'm going to do mine myself for the first time. Mine is an '85 model. I think that I would check the thermostat first. Then go from there. The water pump is in the lower unit and you will have to drop it to inspect. I've learned from this message board a lot of things and you will too. "

" It sounds like the water pum

" It sounds like the water pump. Go to a Mercury Parts dealer with the serial number. Get a complete repair kit, not just the impeller.
When you get the kit, it is a matter of just removing the lower unit and replacing the pump. Make sure to remove the trim tab because there is a bolt below it.
Just take you time and it is an ease procedure. When you reinstall the lower unit, please make sure you line up the shift shaft and the water pump pipe. Also make sure the drive shaft is clean.

Good luck and have fun on the Water. "

Hey Mercury Dude. Can you tel

Hey Mercury Dude. Can you tell me anything about the cam adjusting screw or have you heard of it?
Does this set the timing with the carburator?

" Hey Mercury Dude, to answer

" Hey Mercury Dude, to answer my own question, I think this would be the timing assembly as this assembly is under the fly wheel and it moves with the throttle. I read else where in the message board to get my answer. "

I'm not sure where your t

I'm not sure where your thermostat is located. Maybe Mercury Dude or some one else can tell you.I'm thinking that it may be mounted in a housing on top of the motor. That is where mine is.

" I own a 1969 20hp 2 cyl. 2 c

" I own a 1969 20hp 2 cyl. 2 cycle, Chrysler outboard motor. I was getting water in the lower unit, so ordered a seal kit, replaced them, everything ran fine, but now no water is coming out of the cooling/exhaust orifice. Fearing I put the impeller on backwards, I dropped the lower unit ,flipped the impeller, ran it a minute, same problem, no water. Checked the water tube, lined up in the housing sleeve, blew through it, its clear, I am at a loss. Maybe the impeller is too worn , but it did pump water before. Any help appreciated. Thanks. "

The thermostat housings are m

The thermostat housings are mounted on the top of each head by the top spark plug.
Good luck and have fun on the Water.

" I think i might have a water

" I think i might have a water pump problem, there is no water spit out the back and engine over heats.can anyone tell me where i can get a manuel for 84 merc. 9.9 hp motor. to try the repair myself I have never been inside a boat motor, but have done automobiles. "

" I am trying to drop the lowe

" I am trying to drop the lower unit on my 1980 140hp V4. I removed 5 bolts from the unit, and it has dropped 1/4 -1/2" and thats all it will go. Is there something else that is holding it?
that is up higher up inside, like a clip, bolt etc. that I have to address? Thanks for your help. "

" Roger, You might want to get

" Roger, You might want to get the CLYMER manual. I have one for 3.5 - 40 hp Merc outboards, 1972 - 1989 models. These are good manuals. I bought mine online. You can check it out at WWW.clymer.com. Good luck! "

Back