Logo

Bogging at high speeds

K

Kory Glen

" I have a mid 60's (I

" I have a mid 60's (I think - don't know model number off hand) Johnson Seahorse 9.9 hp. It is bogging down when given gas and is running at far below the speeds that it used to. Engine will idle rough and then die after running awhile. Compression seems fine and both spark plugs are hot after running. I have torn the carb apart and cleaned it well (main jet looked fine and there was some gunk build-up in float. I have also taken the fuel pump apart and it seems clean. I also notice a lot of gas leaking out of engine after running. My first thought was a fuel filter, except that I can't find one, except for the filter paper in the fuel pump. Any ideas on what is wrong? I am at my witts end and don't think the engine is worth paying to have fixed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. "

Filter paper in the fuel pump

Filter paper in the fuel pump??? I thought they had a screen.What is the model # of this engine?

" I can't provide the mode

" I can't provide the model number right now. The engine is at another location, but the pump has two paper like (almost rubbery) filters between the three pump peices. The paper also has a medal receptor for a spring that pushes against the paper and some plastic circles for restricing fuel. "

" HELLO, THAT PAPER AS YOU CAL

" HELLO, THAT PAPER AS YOU CALL IT IS THE DIAPHRAGM THAT IS WHAT PUMPS THE GAS. TAKE IT OUT AND HOLD IT UP AT THE SUN AND SEE IF YOU HAVE A SMALL PIN HOLE IN IT. IF IT HAS ONE YOU NEED TO REPLACE IT. "

Back