Logo

Joe more help

jeff

Contributing Member
" i am the one with the 84 vro

" i am the one with the 84 vro , you told me that it may be the vro pump , but here is the thing . the vro pump isnt connected , so whats next ????? please help i know your better in this area than me , "

"Jeff.... Some mechanical or e

"Jeff.... Some mechanical or electrical item has to be present to pump the fuel to the carburetors. If you aren't using a VRO type pump, what are you using?

If you're saying that you are mixing your oil with the fuel at a 50/1 mixture in your fuel tank, and have simply plugged off the oil portion of the VRO... you are still using the VRO as a fuel pump.

Refresh my memory... what year, horsepower, engine, and problem are we talking about? It would have been better if you continued along with the original message/thread as everything would be in one continous line (easy to follow).

Joe
"

"Never mind refreshing my memo

"Never mind refreshing my memory. I found the previous post and replies.

Joe
"

" joe ,i just went out and loo

" joe ,i just went out and looked at it i didnt realize that the oil pump was also the fule pump i thought the vro was a seperate pump now the hoses are all ok , would you be able to tell me how to properly test the pump ? "

"Pump the fuel bulb until it&#

"Pump the fuel bulb until it's hard to fill the carburetors, then remove (carefully) that hose from the top of the VRO. Now connect a length of hose to the top of the VRO whereas you can route the hose away from the engine. Start the engine. If the fuel shoots out strong and steady, the VRO is okay. If it does not... the VRO is faulty.

Joe
"

" well i didnt start the motor

" well i didnt start the motor but i did pump it manually and it went through fine , i have to go out and start it now to see if it will pump , one question , what does one of those vro pumps cost and are they even still available ? it looks easy enough to drop in there . also we kind of tested it our own way , we bypassed the pump completly and ran the hose stright to the bowls of the carbs , in theory , if it was the pump that would take care of the problem right ? we put the hose on the bottom of the pump stright to the bowls (in better words) . i dont know what he problem could be , also one more question , would 3 little pinholes cause this problem ? i mean they are small but there . i didnt realize them before , i think we may have put them there . im sorry to keep hassling you with this motor but you know how it is , thanks again joe . "

"The fuel passageway through t

"The fuel passageway through that VRO is a straight shot via various internal valves so it's understandable that you could pump fuel through it.

Those VRO's are expensive... approx $260 or so. Check with your local OMC dealer. You may want to convert that engine back to the regular fuel pump setup as you're already mixing your fuel and oil. Check with your dealer on that also pertaining to what fuel pump you'll need and where does it go.

Hooking the fuel hose directly up to the carbs is okay but you'll have to pump the fuel primer bulb to keep it running.... in effect, you will be the manual fuel pump.

You say you've got three little pin holes but you don't say where they are. If they're in a fuel line, on the tank side of that VRO and fuel is leaking out of them, it stands to reason that the VRO will draw air from those same holes.

Joe
"

" jesus !!!!!! 260 for that th

" jesus !!!!!! 260 for that thing !!!! my god i am going to have to set somthing up in order to get fuel to those carbs . i need the boat by the fourth and this is really nerve racking . i just dont know what to do about it . the pinholes are in the line that goes from the top of the filter , to the bottom of the vro . i dont know if three tiny holes would make that big of a difference tho , this is really killing me i have to get this thing running "

"Jeff... Easy on the language!

"Jeff... Easy on the language! Since you are already mixing your fuel and oil, and do not need the VRO, you can convert that engine to a fuel pump model such as the 88hp Evinrude/Johnson engines.

Look at the port (left) side of the engine, just aft (to the rear) of where the bottom carburetor bolts to the intake manifold. On that manifold you will see a horizontal bar of sorts that has a fairly large screw & seal in the middle of it, and on both sides of that screw are threaded holes... one to the left of that screw, and one to the right of that screw. The large screw simply plugs the crankcase pressure passage that operates a regular fuel pump.

You can remove the VRO, plug the line that normally operates that VRO, then remove that crankcase pressure screw plug and then install the regular fuel pump at the area as mentioned above.

The original OMC fuel pump part number is #398387, superceeded by #433387, superceeded by #438556 and has a list price of about $50.00. You can use a fuel pump that has any of these part numbers. You will also need a gasket #303615. Obviously the gasket goes between the pump and the intake manifold.

How you run the fuel hoses is up to you of course. I just wanted to show you the most reasonable way to (hopefully) correct your problem.

Joe
"

" joe you have no idea how muc

" joe you have no idea how much you have helped , im going to try this out tommorow , ill let you know what happens thanx "

" one more thing joe , the non

" one more thing joe , the non vro pump will bolt right into where the vro is or will i have to drill out new holes ?? "

"Jeff... DO NOT drill anything

"Jeff... DO NOT drill anything! Reread my last message along with this one.

Look at the port (left) side of the engine, just aft (to the rear) of where the bottom carburetor bolts to the intake manifold. On that manifold you will see a horizontal bar of sorts that has a fairly large screw & seal in the middle of it (remove that screw and seal), and on both sides of that screw are threaded holes...
"one to the left of that screw", and
"one to the right of that screw".

NOTE.. These two smaller threaded holes are where the regular fuel pump attaches. Two screws are supplied with the regular fuel pump which go through the fuel pump body and into these threaded areas.Be sure to install that gasket between the pump and the block.

Joe
"

Back