Logo

Tools for lower unit reseal

H

hammerin hank

" I have a 1973 Merc 850, 85 h

" I have a 1973 Merc 850, 85 hp 4 inline.
sn-3750908. I have ordered a lower unit re-seal kit with, supposedly all of the seals needed. The Manual shows some specialized looking tools used for disassembly. Is it possible to do this job without these specialty tools or will I need to buy them? Also, any idea how many hours a shop would charge if I dropped off the lower unit and the kit? Thanks.
H "

" Hank,

You could get by wi

" Hank,

You could get by with one special tool. You need the tool for removing and installing the ring nut that secures the prop shaft bearing carrier in the gear case. Sometimes it is easier to drill a few holes in the nut and break it instead of trying to unscrew it. It can be frozen so bad that the casing can be damaged by trying to unscrew it.

When you install a new ring nut you need the tool in order to torque the nut enough to compress the large o-ring so that it forms a good seal.

You can do everything else without any special tools, but you will have to improvise here and there. For instance, you can install prop shaft seals with a socket of the approximate diameter of the seal and a hammer instead of pressing it in with the proper installer and a bearing press.

Tony "

" Thanks for the info, I think

" Thanks for the info, I think I'll give it a go then.
H- "

Back