Logo

Are risers necessary

M

Michael Slevens

" Im repowering a 1968 Luhrs w

" Im repowering a 1968 Luhrs with Crusader 270's and noticed that now that the engines are in, the risers that are on it stick way out over the deck. If I remove the risers, and mount the elbows directly to the manifold, the output will still be under the waterline. SO do I still need the risers?? "

" Not sure I understand your s

" Not sure I understand your statement "the output will still be under the waterline.". The elbow outlet? Doesn't that mean the entire engine is below the water line and the exhaust tips are higher than the engine? Pretty deep hull. If the risers are above deck isn't the front of the motor also above deck? The risers keep a rush of sea water from reaching the cylinders when the engine is off. I'd raise the floor if possible unless you are certain that the slope is adequate to keep this back wash from getting into your engine. There are Chrysler six cyls. without risers. Luhrs 27, 33? glass hull? Wood topside? "

" The riser are imperative, an

" The riser are imperative, and not an option for removal. Removing the risers will decrease back pressure and also allow moisture to enter the manifolds and leak moisture into the cylinders. This will rot out the engine from the inside out. "

Back