Logo

70 model Johnson 95 carb adjustments

A

AlabamaRan

" Hey Joe,

I got one more q

" Hey Joe,

I got one more question about my 70 model 9.5 Johnson. Could you tell me,step-by-step, how to adjust the low speed jet on this carb. It has a R/L knob on the front that appears to turn the cable to the carb, and also a knob on the right near the tiller for low idle or something. Then it has a screw on the front of the carb with a spring on it.

The little motor will sometimes crank and run a bit before dying, then I usually have to wait a long while until it will crank again. Is there a certain procedure for cranking this motor?

I prime the bulb, choke it, pull until it fires, let it run a little (if it keeps going), then push choke in half-way(usually dead by now), then push ckoke in all the way, throttle a little, shift and go. Used to work, but rarely stays going long enough to get to the last steps.

Like I said earlier, I am an awful mechanic, and one who don't have a manual for this engine. Could you tell me how to set this carb up so that I can make adjustments, then how to adjust it so it will:

(1)Crank and stay running long enough make adjustments

(2)Fine tune the adjustments to make it run at its best

I am sure this can be difficult without your being able to see this motor and hear it try to run, but I appreciate your expertise and thank you for sharing it with us. By the way, don't you ever get tired of hearing us whine to you about our problems (smile)? Thanks again Joe and all the others who share their knowledge. "

"Alabama... Sounds like you&#3

"Alabama... Sounds like you're doing everything right pertaining to starting.

The large screw on the side of the engine by the throttle handle is simply a mechanical stop. Its function is just to stop the throttle from dropping beyond whatever point you set it.

The knob on the front of the engine should connect to a long cable like affair that screws into the front of the carburetor.... the screw with a spring on it that you mentioned. That's the slow speed adjustable needle valve. The initial adjustment is.... gently seat it all the way in (you may have to remove that plastic knob to do this). Now, back it out 1 1/2 turns. Start the engine and set the idle high enough to keep the engine running. Slowly, in 1/8 turn segments, start turning that valve in. Wait for the engine to respond, then turn that valve again. As the rpms pick up, lower the throttle just to a point where the engine stays running. You'll hit a point where the engine will either spit back or start to die out. At that point, back that valve out approx 1/4 turn. Somewhere in that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest idle setting.

Joe
"

Back