Logo

AQ125 Electronic Ignition Conversion

marshall

Does anyone know where I can g

Does anyone know where I can get a electronic ignition conversion kit for a AQ125? Any problems or things to look out for?
Thank You

"There are problems to look ou

"There are problems to look out for. Here is the most obvious: The distributor for the AQ125 has a round port for installation of the condenser plug. Upon conversion, the electronic ignition wires must pass through this hole. The catch is that some of the ignition kits like Hotspark only fit the distributor with square port. This means that wires must be cut and spliced, and a grommet installed for fitment to the round port. Not pretty. If yours has the round port ask first."

"Actually Dennis, I ran into t

"Actually Dennis, I ran into that problem when I installed the Hot Spark system in my AQ151C. So, I took my trusty exacto knife and pared carefuly the square to round, bit by bit, until it would fit. So I didn't have to cut the wires. I then coated the grommet with a little marine silicone. Seems to be water-proof and the system works very well.

fwiw, Tom"

"Tom, that is the way I would

"Tom, that is the way I would do it, too. I'm just not that hot for hotspark, yet. When six months go by without seeing some complaints about one or the other SSI's, I'll bite. Until then, hohummm."

"I doubt very highly that eith

"I doubt very highly that either Petronix or Hot Spark components are made in North America. They are such a simple item and I believe both are made in the same garage somewhere in China. If they were a made in USA, being a simple electronic thing, well that would be very unusual and they would cost 3 times the current asking. Labour costs you know
crazy.gif
"

"I installed the Hot Spark in

"I installed the Hot Spark in a AQ120B. I needed to extend the wires, so cutting them wasn't a problem. Even with cutting and extending the wires, it has been the easiest repair yet. Started on the first try. I've only run the boat twice sine installing it (starter went, waiting for rebuilds), but so far so good. I recommend them."

"Larry,
Great. I just instal

"Larry,
Great. I just installed mine. It went in easy. The wiring diagram I have shows a resistance wire. I can't find it. The instructions called for the resistance wire to removed but I can't find it. I wired anyway as the instructions called and it started. I hope I don't burn anything up."

Measure the resistance of your

Measure the resistance of your coil. As long as it is within the specs. called for in the Hot Spark instructions you should be good (I changed my coil).

HI THIS IS MY FRIST TIME EMAIL

HI THIS IS MY FRIST TIME EMAILING YOU I GOT A 1985 VOLVO PENTA AQ125 4 CLY WHEN I START THE MOTOR UP IT'S STARTS UP WITH NO PROMBLEM WHEN I GIVE IT GAS AND KEEP OPEN 2/4 OFTHE WAY THE ENGINE START'S TO BRAKE UP LIKE IT'S GOING TO STALL OUT I JUST BOUGHT THE HOT SPARK TO DROP THE POINT'S OUT AND TRY IT COULD IT BE THE POINTS DOING THIS I GOT NEW SPARK PLUGS NO CHANGE CAN YOU HELP ON THIS THANK YOU RICH

"Well, that sounds more like a

"Well, that sounds more like a fuel delivery problem. You will need to check all fuel filters and water separators. Trace the entire length of the fuel line looking for kinks, etc. Check the fuel pressure at the carb. If everything else checks out then you will want to test the flow rate.

However, I'd also check the timing since you just change the ignition. I'd also suggest, replacing the cap, rotor and spark plugs."

Back