Logo

28 Johnson runs very slow

B

Brian Mullis

I took the boat out friday nig

I took the boat out friday night after I got home from work. I got it run no problem so I start off slow through the no wake zone we got out of the no wake so i put the throttle down nothing doing the same speed as before. Then so I descided to go to the end of the creek and back let it run for a while. We got to the end and was going to turn around when it stalled and I could not get it cranked again. What could this be?

"Brian, if your compression an

"Brian, if your compression and spark is good (and clean plugs) then it certainly sounds like a fuel issue.

I would check - tank vent (working properly/open/clogged??) - intake in the fuel tank (gummed/crudded up??) - fuel line/connections/fuel filter/water separator (if equipped) - all connections tight/unobstructed etc). New or old gas???

If all that looks good, may have a gummed up carb."

"I cleaned out the tank about

"I cleaned out the tank about a weel ago and I have replaced the following items : Rebuild Carb, Two new spark plugs, cleaned out all fuel lines, cleaned and retightened all electric connects. What else could it be?"

"Brian, did you do all you hav

"Brian, did you do all you have listed above to correct the problem you are now describing, or was that done for another issue.

I ask only to try and determine if perhaps you inadvertantly set the carb up wrong upon reassembly.

If however, the problem is what you were trying to correct in the first place, then troubleshooting in other areas will be required.."

So what is the model # / year

So what is the model # / year of this engine?? Are we talking about a motor from the 60's or the 90's???

"I did this at first because t

"I did this at first because the engine would not crank at all. So I figure some basic tune-up stuff would bring it back to life. As now I can start and it will crank , but stall. I through the same thing that I did something wrong with the carb, but when I took it back apart I could not find anything wrong with the carb. Also the compression is great. The Johnson is a 1986 the model numder is J28ELCDS."

Back