Logo

Warm up lever on OMC Control box operation

stuartbull2

" OMC controls.Have Johnson 60

" OMC controls.Have Johnson 60 hp ( 1986 3 cyl)Over winter I have rebuilt the control box (white, PTT,primer choke etc with large red plug) as the throttle warm up lever broke away at the boss where it enters the box.All appears ok now internally,well lubed etc.
Due to put the boat in the water for first time this spring soon but still not happy with warm up lever operation.
I can select gears OK and have full range throttle operation on power lever.I have sink and linked engine and am happy that adjustments seem ok.My question is how far should throttle butterflies open with warm up lever? on operating the lever the ignition advances correctly then throttles start to open ( just as mark on cam aligns)however they only open about1/8 inch in fact about the same amount as when I go to full throttle in reverse. Is this correct? i seem to remember last year having more throttle opening .( I may be mistaken) Is this enough to start engine and warm up?.There also appears to be lost motion on the first half of warm up lever operation tho.I am confident all is OK inside box,I have checked and rechecked that everything is tight and correctly assembled, so presume there may be some wear? Have adjusted cable to ensure neither too loose or too tight,Any ideas please as Clymer manual makes scant reference to the control box.Greetings in anticipation from UK "

"Throttle butterflies opening

"Throttle butterflies opening 1/8" should be plenty. You really don't want the engine starting in neutral at an extremely high rpm.

Joe
"

Back