Logo

Engine life in hours

cc183

"I have a Harbormaster housebo

"I have a Harbormaster houseboat with twin 350 Crusaders approaching 2,000 hours. Run great, do not burn oil. Good compression. Any idea how long these engines might be expected to run before overhaul?"

"Depends a lot on the care you

"Depends a lot on the care you give it, especially frequent oil changes. It could easily go 2000 more before an overhaul with proper maintainance. Stay away from gimmick additives in your crankcase oil. Modern oil comes with a precise package of additives put in by the manufacturer, the level of which is noted on the label by an API rating."

"CC183
I own a 350, 260 horse

"CC183
I own a 350, 260 horse Mercury inboard . It has 7,900 hrs, still running great. Clean oil, tuneups"

"Thanks guys. I always run goo

"Thanks guys. I always run good straight 30W oil in both and new points, plugs, condenser and cap every 200 hours. I'm a big fan of preventitive maintenance."

"Bought and old harbor dept bo

"Bought and old harbor dept boat with twin 454 crusaders in her back in Feb. Stbd motor just turned 1500 hours and is a '94 Gen V. It just broke a valve spring, bent the valve/pushrod and when I took off the head, the crown on the piston behind it had a chunk missing and you could see the top ring. Compression was great, didn't burn oil blah blah. The non seating valve in the other cylinder was the only indicator the engine had an issue. Port motor is an '85 mark IV block and just turned 5000 hours and runs fantastic."

Back