Logo

Clinton J9 Ootboard Motor

nmesllc

"Hi, I just received a Clinto

"Hi, I just received a Clinton outboard motor, Model J9, serial number 72577 type 15-14-9-6-0-7

can anyone tell me the hp, if it is air cooled and what oil mixture. It appears to be in good condition. Are there any manuals available. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Larry"

"Larry, the Clinton J9 model w

"Larry, the Clinton J9 model was built between 1959 and about 1967 (although they called it a "Chief J9" in 66/67) - in later years they modified the model number slightly.

I don't have it broke right down by serial, but by your numbers I would guess an early to mid-60's model.

This is an air-cooled, single cylinder, 5 horse.

It will mix at 24:1 with regular 2 cycle engine oil (such as used with lawnmowers/chainsaws) - NOT "marine" outboard oil.

You can most likely get a copy of the original manual from www.discount-marine-parts.com"

"Hi Again,

I started the J9

"Hi Again,

I started the J9 motor today, it was easy. Just a little choke and it fired right up, it hadn't been started for 15 years.

On the lower shaft, just below the engine. There are 4 or 5 small holes on both sides. Are these extra holes for exhaust in addition to the main exhaust outlet by the prop?

Off hand, do you know where I can purchase a new prop and approx cost.

Thank you in advance

Larry"

"Larry, in the case of this pa

"Larry, in the case of this particular motor the small holes are not really needed, although exhaust will exit there as well.

It's possible that Clinton bought their exhaust housings from OMC (or someone else for that matter). Many of the small "water cooled" outboards didn't have a tell-tale, instead, the small holes you refer to would emit a slight spray (dribble) as cooling water was blown out of them by the exhaust - confirming that the waterpump was working correctly.

As to the prop, I don't know of a source at all. Even a websearch turned up nothing. If in fact the lower part of your motor was mfg by one of the (bigger companies) there could be a cross reference. If you get ahold of the guys at www.discount-marine-parts.com either they can help you out or perhaps put you onto someone that can.

It is quite possible that a small OMC weedless prop will either fit or can be easily modified to fit, and they are still very much available, new, at the dealer for something like 30 bucks..."

"Sorry, I won't be a pest,

"Sorry, I won't be a pest, I am so surprised the way this little Clinton is working, now we are planning on taking it on our upcoming fishing trip.

My last question, what gear lubricate oil is used in the lower unit, is it 90 wgt gear oil or a special oil.

Thank you in advance,

Again

Larry"

"Larry, 90 weight is fine as l

"Larry, 90 weight is fine as long as it's rated for "marine" application (available at most auto places, Walmart, Kmart etc as well as marinas)- in fact any marine gear oil, except "type-C" which is for electric shift OMC's will work great.

Just don't use "automotive" gear oil, it foams and expands and can damage the seals in a marine lower unit..."

Back