Logo

Pro tec ignition cutting out

baddad

I have a '94 Pcm Pro boss

I have a '94 Pcm Pro boss engine with GT-40 heads and a Pro Tec Ignition. It has started to cut out around 2300 rpm's when weighted down AND reaching operating temp 150-160. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Sounds very much like a defect

Sounds very much like a defective coil.

"As the insulation breaks down

"As the insulation breaks down in the coil, it begins to short between layers. This is accentuted by heat causing the metal to warp. Another symtom of a weak coil is that it might run OK at lower rpms but will misfire at higher rpms. This is because the defective coil is less able to saturate a field as quickly as it should, working enough for low rpms but not able to cope with more rapid firing.
These are symtoms of a weak but still functioning coil. In other cases the coil will fail altogether and the engine will not run.
Coils are rarely a problem but they do not last forever. Heat and vibration are the main enemies of coil but usually they last many years."

My experience is that it would

My experience is that it would have quit completely but I guess it is possible. The symtoms that you describe are very characteristic of a defective coil.

I Have a 1994 pro brendella wi

I Have a 1994 pro brendella with a 351w and por tec distributor / I need info on instaling the distributor / I have purched the repair manual and this info is not thair

"I have a '93 Nautique wit

"I have a '93 Nautique with electronic ignition and it runs for 30 min, then won't start. Left me on the lake twice now. I had thought fuel filter plugging up, but pulling the plug wire and holding it close while cranking and I didn't see or hear any spark. I need to use one of those little lights to be sure I guess.

What threw me off, was the I could get a little bit of run with starting fluid. But someone told me that they have definitely seen engines run on starting fluid with no spark at all.

What do the power packs do? Are they the coils or is there a single coil I can replace?"

People tell me that the ProTec

People tell me that the ProTech ignition can not be fixed and that I need put put in an old style distributor. I lose knock sensor retard in the process.

I was also told to try putting an iced towel on the power packs to see if that helped them. That would be a sure sign.

"Call these guys, [url=""]http

"Call these guys, http://www.skidim.com/ and ask them. They are the best. They also can get you a replacement pro tec ingition without doing the conversion. My situation ended up just needing a small amount of grease designed to promote conductivity and prevent oxidation on the tip of the spark plugs that the wires connect to. There was minor evidence of rust on the tips, and the grease did the trick. Got it at Home depot. Appearently the computer that manages the pro tec system is very picky about that sort of thing."

"i have a ford pcm in a 1991 s

"i have a ford pcm in a 1991 ski nautique v8 ford 5.8 with a pro tek ignition system and last season i have been having power problems.

when trottleing up there is a lack of power and sometimes backfiring. the boat also starts to get short bursts of power and lunges forward and back then it backfires and runs on at full power.

if you have come across this before or have any ideas, any information would be greatly appreciated."

Back