Logo

Worn out Coupler

markbabb

Contributing Member
I replaced my 78 Searay 350/26

I replaced my 78 Searay 350/260 engine this spring and did not replace the coupler at that time.Wish I had thought about it! The inside of the coupler is completely worn smooth. I am ordering a coupler from this site( best price I have seen). I would like to ask what would you recommend to replace at the same time. Gimbal Bearing and seal? The spline was greased well when it was reassembled. Does this usually damage the spline. Everything has been operating well and it gave no warning. I do all of my own work and have lovingly restored this boat with many hours effort. I had been running hard and the seas were pretty rough. Is this an alignment issue or an old part issue(could be orignal for all I know) with a new power plant. I would like to minimize down time with your helpful advice and get any cautions of forseeable repairs with this type of malfunction from some expert.It was a long tow into port.Thanks

Do everything by the book. In

Do everything by the book. Inspect all hard parts and soft parts for wear. Replace as needed.

The steel spline is probably fine. The coupler is made of aluminum. Why? Ask Merc. Use the correct lubricants and an alignment tool to install the OD. Happy boating.

did you replace the rear motor

did you replace the rear motor mount bushings. there a leading cause of coupler failure.
bad bushing=bad alignment= gone coupler

"No, I did not replace the bus

"No, I did not replace the bushings but I will this time for sure. Besides the bushings for the rear mount I assume the second greatest cause of failure would be the gimbal bearing. Is that correct? Another question came to mind, I sometimes have a hard time shifting into reverse smoothly. I have adjusted the cable but don't seem to find the right spot. It still grinds sometimes. Any thoughts? Thanks"

Back