Logo

Kohler 5 KW generator

wheelsmith

"At only 47 hours total run ti

"At only 47 hours total run time, my model 5E generator does the following: Starts and runs about three seconds and stops. It seems that there must be a short run time after start when sevaral sensors are checked and if there's a bad reading it gets shut down by the circuitry in the regulator enclosure.

Coolant is full, oil is full and there seems to be adequate oil pressure as the governor arm is steady after start.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should check first?"

"Pete, What model is it? Is

"Pete, What model is it? Is is a 5E, with the standard start/stop switch, or the new 5ED, with the digital display, and finally, is it gas or diesel?

If it is the 5E (most likely), there is a 5 sec. delay in the safety shutdown system which could be engaging. This would be caused by the oil pressure switch and the exhaust temp switch. You can temporarily disconnect both and see what happens.

The unit will also shut down if no AC output is being generated. This could be due to a blown fuse or a bad voltage regulator. Then, of course, there is the PCB.

I would start by disconnecting the shut down switches, checking the fuses and checking for AC output.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Thanks Rick.

It is the 5E

"Thanks Rick.

It is the 5E Gasoline (circa 2003)

Without a service manual (seems to be unavailable from Kohler) I'm left guessing with the one schematic I do have.

Fuses are good so I'll disable the sensors next. Am I correct in that the oil pressure switch should be open when pressure is good and the temp should only close if there's high temp? Basically, if either closes to ground shut down occurs? There's also a low coolant switch on the schematic.

Hopefully it's not the regulator or PCB ($$) I will post with the results.

Pete"

"Pete,

If you are the origi

"Pete,

If you are the original owner you are still under warranty. At 5 years, Kohler has, by far, the best warranty in the industry.

You are liable for the $100.00 deductible, but the rest is covered, including travel.

By the way, Kohler has a Users manual, an installation manual, a parts manual and a service manual for that unit. I'm on the road this week, but if you can't find the PN e-mail me and I'll get you the numbers next week.

Good luck,
Rick"

Back