Logo

1999 40 hp 4 stroke Evinrude trim solenoid

W

Waly Lawrence

The down solenoid on this moto

The down solenoid on this motor continues to work intermittently. Have parts and service manuals but little info. Is this part easily replaced? Can anyone provide the part number? Thanks

"Waly, there were a series of

"Waly, there were a series of the Suzuki built 4 strokes that didn't use a solinoid or relay to operate the trim down. I guess the engineers figured that there would be less current draw from the motor running down than up. The problem is that the trim switches in the OMC controls can't carry the current necessary to run the motor directly in either direction.

Assuming this is the problem, you need to replace the trim switch, as well as add a relay in the down circuit to take the load off the switch. One method that works well is to strip the relay box and cables from an old Cross-flow V4 or V6. The cable will plug right in to your trim switch, and with a little rewiring of the relay's, it can be adapted to the trim cable coming from the motor."

"dcramer,
Fortunately this mo

"dcramer,
Fortunately this motor has two relays. I measure battery voltage on each wire to the motor when I operate each switch. Up works but the down relay just clicks. Can the motor be stuck in a null position?"

Back