Logo

Adding an electric starter

john_oneal

"I have 30hp Johnson model #cj

"I have 30hp Johnson model #cj30rcdm. I interpret this model # to indicate a Canadian built, 30hp, rope start, 1986 model year. Please correct me if I`m wrong. Since I use this motor exclusively for duck hunting I face a lot of cold morning starts , for convenience and to make life a little easier I would like to add an electric starter. It appears that the bosses necessary to accept the starter are in place. Are there any unseen pitfalls that I may encounter assuming I can find a good used starter. Also can I retain the rope start capability? (question # two) This motor has what appears to be a choke knob, yet no mechanical linkage connects it to a choke plate, only small lines to the carb. I must assume that this is an engine primer system. Can anyone advise as to the correct cold start procedure with this system ? Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge."

"Hey John....That "choke&#

"Hey John....That "choke" knob that you see is actually the primer pump....Pump it,buy pulling in and out, set your twist handle over to fast idle, and start...those are great motors and start very well...to convert to electric start will cost a lot of money.Battery, cables, charge coil, key switch start, atarter,and the list goes on...See if this didnt help.....Tom"

Back