Logo

1973 johnson 40hp workhorse water problems

M

mick bradley

"I am in the middle of trying

"I am in the middle of trying to assess what is wrong with this engine, it was getting hot stripped down water pump and impellor both like new but it is still getting hot.there is no water outlet tube. help please any ideas"

"Mick, could be a blockage or

"Mick, could be a blockage or build-up in the water channels.

Drop the lower end and then rig up a garden hose the best you can to get a good seal on the water-tube and assess what kind of flow you get coming back down the exhaust housing...."

"Mick & Graham, might be a

"Mick & Graham, might be a bug nest up in there. The water pump does'nt have the power to blow it out of there, but usually 60psi from the hose, is enough to erode and flush stuff out of there. It's been so long since I had this same problem, but if remember correctly, I think I took the hose with a 1/4" noozle, and squirted in both the water tube and the exhaust. I remember it being a wasp nest, and it took more than a few minutes to get it flowing again."

"thanks, tried that and uncove

"thanks, tried that and uncovered the problem the gear shift rod/clampbar has rubbed through the pick up pipe. I have now removed the powerhead and am i right in thinking the pick up pipe is swaged in with a steel insert? not sure how to get this out yet but one to be aware of if anyone else has a similar problem"

Back