Logo

5 hp hard pull start

W

weakarms

I have a 1997 5 hp that is ver

I have a 1997 5 hp that is very hard to pull through the compression stroke.
Is there a compression release?
Pulls easy without the plug in.
Runs fine after starting with a pull with both hands.
Is this normal?
timing issue?
sticky valves?

I turned the flywheel by hand.

I turned the flywheel by hand.
What am I looking for?
I feel the resistance at TDC

"I guess the big question is .

"I guess the big question is ... was it always like this or is it getting harder. It could be normal and you do indeed just have "weak arms"
crazy.gif
"

I bought the motor used this s

I bought the motor used this spring and have had it out twice.
If you don't slowly pull it through the compression or exhaust stroke it will yank the rope out of my hands. It always does this.
It will not do a complete 4 stroke cycle with one pull.
It either stops on the compression or exhaust stroke.

Well I would start with the to

Well I would start with the top and work my way down. When the rope is out does it recoil freely?
When you turned the flywheel was it hard? More than the normal resistance you would expect? Have you tried a little lubrication down the cylinders? Just kinda thinking out loud here. Gone for the weekend but I'll try and check back.
Cheers Norm

"It's in neutral.
Turning

"It's in neutral.
Turning the flywheel by hand is easy until TDC.

If I remove the spark plug, it will pull as easy as any 4 stroke lawnmower, snowblower or any other engine I have had.

It has to be compression.

But this is my first Honda and maybe this is normal.

Anyone else have Honda 5HP outboard?"

"It sounds normal, my little y

"It sounds normal, my little yami outboard does have a decompression feature but I'm not sure about yours. Honda dude would likely know for sure. Good luck."

"The 5's are a little hard

"The 5's are a little hard to pull. Slowly pull the recoil start until it gets hard to pull (near top of a compression stroke). Now let the rope retract, crack open the throttle a little bit (to the "start" position, and give it a quick and hard pull. It should start without backfiring."

Back