Logo

Yamaha 150 hp 4 stroke vs 2

B

Brad White

"I'm considering new Yamah

"I'm considering new Yamaha 150 hp, but am wondering the real diifferences to me between 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke. Older 18' Seacraft used for fishing, towables, genl. recreation. Have been told 2 stroke has better accelleration & fuel economy & less maintenence? Any feedback? Thanx"

"Brad,

I will say one thing

"Brad,

I will say one thing. They make replacement rings and pistons for 2 strokes and not for the newer 4 strokes. Seems like the 2 strokes can still blow a cylinder. Yet not seen to many 4 stroke of the same year in the shops. It is your choice..

Also one more thing as for oil. it is cheaper to purchase 4 stroke oil then 2 stroke oil over the year. Over the year I have bought up to 24 gal of 2 stroke oil at $13 a gal. that is $312.00 and for 2 oil changes on a 4 stroke 2 oil filter changes a year. $20 x 2 = 40 for filters. And $15 x 3 = $45 gal of 4 stroke oil Quicksilver.. for a total of $85.00 a year.

Total savings is $227 over a 2 stroke motor.

Thing is I do all the maintains on my boats. So labor is not a issue.

Good luck.

Larry"

Lots of advantages to 4 stroke

Lots of advantages to 4 stroke.
quiet
way more fuel effient! (big deal with todays prices)
cleaner (no smoke)
easy to maintain

downside ... if they break its expensive!
However given the choice on that size of motor I would go 4 stroke. I don't think power out of the hole etc. will be an issue ( 2 stroke a little better on that front)

"I would agree with both above

"I would agree with both above. Besides a "new" 2 stroke in the 150 horse and up range will be a DFI.

These are just as complicated (technically) although they have less components/parts than the 4 strokes, but just as costly to fix as well. So now the notion of fixing a 2 stroke in your garage with a screwdriver is long past.

The 2 strokes do kick better however and are preferred for ski/wakeboard etc.

To compare them fairly you should look at the differences (and a dealer will help explain the pro's and con's of both) between motors at least in the same class.

Check out your Yami 4 stroke compared to the Yami VMax 150 HPDI and then pick the motor that better suits "the way YOU use your boat".

I am moving up to a larger boat myself and was initially certain that I would hang a DFI 2 stroke on long before a 4 stroke, but after doing alot of reading/asking, I'm not so sure anymore..."

Hey Graham I can tell you this

Hey Graham I can tell you this .... the gas mileage is really that much better. I went from a 15hp 2 stroke to the 20hp 4 stroke and I easily get 4 times the distance from the same amount of fuel. That alone makes the decision to change very easy not to mention you feel better about doing your part for the environment if you know what I mean.
All that said if you are considering a new engine I can't recommend a 4 stroke strongly enough. You won't be dissappointed!

Happy boating! Norm

"Doc, would definately agree w

"Doc, would definately agree with you if you are comparing a "traditional" 2 stroke compared to a 4.

But these new Direct injected things - VMAX, ETEC and Optimax are putting fuel numbers up as good as or better than 4 strokes in the same horsepower. And they are CARB 3 rated for the most part - so nice and clean as well.

My initial concern with switching to a 4 stroke was the maintenance - more complicated, but comparing them with these DFI's, there's not a whole lot of difference in that department - still both computer run, sensor driven, with injectors etc etc - neither of which you can effectively work on at home anymore.

In fact, was just reading on the newest models that if a sensor goes bad, the computer will compensate for it - so you can't even "disconnect" to test - need to hook it up to a reader (1200 bucks in the case of Merc) to find out what went "flooey" on you..."

A lot has to do with the natur

A lot has to do with the nature of the installation and how and where a boat is kept.If the motor is on the back of a boat and kept in the water can you get to it to check the oil.You may need to get the boat out of the water and such to do the maintenance.What happens when a tining belt breaks at full throttle??.Marina charges for simple maintenance do add up.Friend of mines runs a marina (most boats kept in the water ) and owners do not have trailers and he says they ( 4 strokes are a cash cow )for his shop.

"Good point "student"

"Good point "student" but I think if you keep up with the proper maintenance in a timely fashion any motor will last a long time. I doubt if these guys with the boat in the water all the time can do it. I guess salt or fresh would make a difference too but if I just bought a new motor you can bet that baby would be looked after! All this being said I think the days of 2 strokes are numbered, no matter how good they claim to be. Not just boats but sleds and other toys as well. (I'd be hard pressed to give up the 2 stroke in my summit though)"

"Big difference if you have th

"Big difference if you have the boat in the driveway at home do the work yourself or have to pay the MARINA to put it on a forklift or trailer to do the work.Four strokes are great because most are new but my prediction is if they need major work they are not worth fixing.Just picked up 10 lower units off 100hp YAMAHA motors for nothing ( bent prop shafts,cracked ,seized ) they were deemed " not worth fixing " and were not even taken apart to evaluate."

"Welcome to the world of dispo

"Welcome to the world of disposable everything hey. Tell you what, I sure miss the days of being able to tear down the motor in my own car for a rebuild ... now I take it in and pay $100.00/hr to watch them plug it in and read a computer to tell me I need a rebuild. All these new outboards 2 and 4 are going the same way unfortunately
thumbs_down.gif
"

"N-A-Student,

YOu are so ri

"N-A-Student,

YOu are so right, they don't even make aftermarket parts yet for them. My f200 has a fried Valve Head, I had to go to a automotive shop to have it welded and machine. Or else it would have costed me over 2k just for a new head from the factory. also had to have it re-sleeve back to OEM, because no one makes over bored pistons. If I had to pay for labor I would be screwed. the person that owned the motor before me had sand in the head. So it over heated and blow a valve.

Larry"

"Thanx Guyz... Guess therez n

"Thanx Guyz... Guess therez no easy answers. I still have young kids & will be towing for a few years. The boat is a classic, but probably not worth throwing a lot of $ into (not self bailing, etc.). I think I am tending toward 2-Stroke as I think I can save $2,400 up front... Really appreciate your feedback!
Brad"

Back