Logo

Engine wont stay running

mcazille

I have twin Merc 305's and

I have twin Merc 305's and have been having problems getting the my starboard engine running. I have checked and replaced my fule filter / water seperator. There was some water in there so i checked it a few times and replaced the filters. My port engine has no problems running so i have removed water from being the cause.

When i try and start the engine it turns over and seems to want to run but as soon as it hit idle it shuts down. It almost seems like the engine isnt getting enough fuel after the initial choke. Could this be caused by a bad fuel pump and what does it take to change one if it is. i would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. I know very little about fixing engines.

1988 well craft monte carlo

I also was told i could get a

I also was told i could get a plate that covers the holes on my automatic choke and makes it work alot better. Has anyone heard of anyhting like this.

"Mike
Sounds like you may hav

"Mike
Sounds like you may have some issues with the carburetta on that engine, time for a rebuild.

Also make sure your basic engine tune is OK as well.

As for the choke, if the carburetta is set up and working properly the choke will work properly as the manufacturer designed it to do.

Cheers
Peter C"

"Ok what would you think of sw

"Ok what would you think of switching from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel carb. And what is the cost difference between rebuilding and replacing. I was told that a 4 barrel is more efficient than a 2 barrel, is this true and should i do it. Thanks also for the quick response i really need the guidence."

"There's no difference in

"There's no difference in mid-range cruising speeds between a 2 and 4 barrel, and damn little top end speed either. Which gives better mileage? Depends on the setup.

Jeff"

ok so i need to rebuild my car

ok so i need to rebuild my carbs and i should be ok. Do you recomend a book i could use to learn how to work on these engines. I own a construction company and have a ton of tools and what not but i know very little about engines. Do you think this is something i should have a pro do. Also is there anything else that may be causeing this that i can also replace or have fixed to get this motor running. At this point im having trouble taking the boat out cause im worried it wont make it back.

"Just about anyone with a mech

"Just about anyone with a mechanical inclination can rebuild a 2 BBL carb. SELOC, Clymer and Mercrusier factory manuals are used by many of us. Some availale from this website and others from eBay. I have SELOC and Mercruiser manuals for the specific year of my engine and OD. I prefer the Merc. fact. manuals but have found both useful. It's an individual preference. USE THE CARB. SPECIFICATIONS FROM THE MANUAL AND NOT THE KIT."

Back