Logo

Possible replacements for a Mercruiser 470

jonriley56

"Hi,

I have a 1986 Sportcra

"Hi,

I have a 1986 Sportcraft 23 footer with a Mercruiser 470 and an Alpha 1 outdrive. The motor is giving me issues and I am thinking about just replacing it with something that is more predictable.

Can anyone tell me what options I have that would bolt up to the Alpha 1 ?

Thanks !

jon"

"I belive the 3.0 L 135 hp &#4

"I belive the 3.0 L 135 hp (4 cyl) will. A 4.3 L 190 - 220 hp would need motor mount changes. Doghouse may need work. Contact a local reliable dealer and provide the engine and OD serial numbers.

Before you invest $3K to $5K in an old boat, have the boat structure inspected for rot; hull, transom, stringers and floor. Unless you do the work it is one expensive job about $4K - $5K depending upon the work needed."

"Guy,

Thanks for the repons

"Guy,

Thanks for the reponse. I think I am going to try and get my 470 back running. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I put an external alternator on the motor because i was having issues with the charging system.

I have heard that it would be worth my while to go ahead and remove the water cooled voltage regulator. I assume that I can just cut the wires and be OK ? It makes me a little nervous.

I was also planning on removing the stator unit while I was at it.

thanks again, I look forward to your comments.

jon"

The regulator and stator can b

The regulator and stator can be removed as long as you have separated them both from the charging circuit electrically. Not sure? Have a technician do it. Good luck on the 470.

i have the 170...same concept

i have the 170...same concept...my stator is still on but not in use...and my regulator os just diisconnected but still there

Back