Logo

Prop and skeg removal for repair

tamike

"I bought a 1986 bayliner and

"I bought a 1986 bayliner and the skeg and prop are damaged. I can either take them off and get them repaired or bring the whole boat in and have them do it all. Just wondering how hard is it to remove the prop and skeg myself? If it's easy enough, I wouldn't mind doing it myself to save a few bucks."

"The prop is easy to dismantle

"The prop is easy to dismantle. Jusst remove the cone nut and slide the prop out of the shaft. The cone nut may be secured with an Allen screw attached to the prop shaft (39), or with a tab washer (36) or both.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/LOWER_GEAR_UNIT/dm/store_id.366--session_id.52314 8400--cart_id.443433535--category_id.332885--list_time.1189374351--view_id.32408 9

To remove the lower unit, drain the oil, then remove the 4 bots (part 47 on above link) and off you go. Make sure you install new o-rings when putting it back together."

we do a lot of skeg repair wor

we do a lot of skeg repair work in our engineering work shop and we prefer to leave the lower leg on as we beleive you need the gear box oil to help disipate the heat from the alum welding. touch wood we have never dammaged a seal or had any other problems from doing them this way

Back