Logo

1992 force 90 more HP

E

eric peterson

"Hi,

I have a 1992 bayliner

"Hi,

I have a 1992 bayliner cobra 17 bass boat with a 90 hp M#908A92C force. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to get more horsepower out of stock motor to get boat moving a little better? Eric"

"where can I get them, how muc

"where can I get them, how much are they and how much of a difference will it make?"

"Eric, you can do a websearch

"Eric, you can do a websearch for the reeds. They will make "a little difference".

Also, making sure that your set-up is properly propped could help as well as going to a "high flow" hub system on the prop.

But ultimately, whatever you do, will give minimal and most likely "un-noticable" performance increases.

A properly tuned engine, pitched correctly for your set-up, trimmed properly etc is the best you can hope for.

If you really want to improve performance - get rid of that engine and move up to your maximum hp rating for your boat.

If you are already there or close (ie. 115 max rating), there is not alot you can do to get anything more out of it. Going from a 90 to 115 on that set-up would maybe give you 4 or 5 mph more at wide open throttle and cost 20-30 percent more gas..."

I just purchased a tracker pro

I just purchased a tracker pro 17 with a 1997 mercury force. I found the year and RPM on a plate where you attach the motor to the transom .It says the RPM is Max 5250 with this motor Any one else have any info on this. I have not even put it in the water yet.

"Ok Benny, your motor was buil

"Ok Benny, your motor was built by Merc using mostly Chrysler and discontinued Merc parts.

Chrysler was bought out by Bayliner in 1984. Their US Marine division continued building the outboards under the "Force" name. In 1986 Brunswick bought out Bayliner and gave the engine division to Mercury (who they owned already).

Merc continued the Force name/line until 1999. It did a couple of things for them. It allowed them to continue producing low cost motors and also allowed them to get rid of all the discontinued parts that they had laying around various production facilities.

A 90 horse Force, technology wise, is about the same as a mid-70's Merc. In fact the carbs on your motor will fit a 72/73 90 horse Merc very nicely.

Having said all that, it is still a half decent motor as long as it is cared for. The problem with Force motors is - when they break it is usually cheaper to scrap them and buy something else, than fix them. Also, parts is getting difficult to find for them. Even though your motor is just over 10 years old, already most of the major parts are discontinued....

So there's a bit of history - if you have specific questions, just post them up here...."

Back