Logo

Starting Problem 1987 Evinrude 150

bryan

" I am having trouble starting

" I am having trouble starting my outboard, although the engine will turnover. I have checked to make sure that the engine is firing, and this appears to be fine. It cranks and only runs for just a second and then shuts down. When it does crank, it appears to be staring of fuel. After priming the primer bulb, the inline fuel filter(new)between my primer bulb(new as well) and VRO is almost empty once the engine starts and shuts off. It is as if the VRO is not pumping the fuel and the engine is only running from the pressurized fuel from the primed bulb. When I took a closer look at the output side of the VRO pump, I found that the fuel line connected to this output side was not connected well. When touched, it sprayed fuel from the pressure of the pressurized fuel line. I am wondering if this pressurized fuel should be coming through the VRO to the output side when the engine is not running. Would this be and indication that there could be a bad diaphragm within the VRO allowing this fuel to pass through the VRO and on to the carburetors without the engine running, or is this normal? I have repaired the bad connection on the output side of the VRO, but this did not fix the problem. Any help or suggestions out there? "

You can pump fuel thru the VR

You can pump fuel thru the VRO that is after all the purpose of the primer bulb (fill the carburetors) There are repair kits available for the VRO pumps.

Back