Logo

1966 evinrude 100hp starter will not engage

P

Pete Wilkins

battery is charged all i get

battery is charged all i get when i turn key is a click. If I pull on rope it starts just fine so i know the connections are good any ideas?

" Try tapping on the starter a

" Try tapping on the starter and see if you get any response..if you do, starter needs to be rebuilt..If no response, need to remove, open up and see what the problem is...TommyG "

" You have good connection for

" You have good connection for ignition, do you have good connection in the starting ( cranking ) circuit?? Best bet is to pull the starter apart and inspect. "

I tried tapping already all c

I tried tapping already all connections have been polished to a shine it turned over the first time i tried it this morning and then it just quit. do you suppose the starter could go bad that quickly?

"Pete.... Attach a volt meter

"Pete.... Attach a volt meter to the electric starter terminal, then attempt to crank the engine via the ignition key. If voltage registers at that terminal, the starter armature may have a bad spot (no continuity) in one brush contact area.

If no voltage registers (and you do hear a click), jump the starter solenoid directly from one large solenoid terminal to the other large terminal. If the starter now engages, as William states, replace the solenoid.

Joe
"

Back