Logo

1964 johnson electramatic 40hp model rd-26 big twin

jimmyboyy

first off i need to know if its standard shift with generator or electric shift with generator? does anyone know how to tell? the control box has 1 shifter with a cable that goes to the shift i believe. then there is a little lever just behind the shifter finally a small bundle of wires green, blue (light) and a red wire. can someone help me identify the wires and where they connect to, i cant find any information in manuals at all please help

It is electric shift.-----Some will argue , but if it is in good condition the electric shift will serve you well.-----So 12 volts to green gives you forward.---12 volts to blue is reverse.----Did you get the junction box with the starter solenoid and voltage regulator ?------Do a compression first before spending any coins on this motor.-----Test for spark.----Good spark jumps a gap of 1/4" or more with ease.-----Replace water pump impeller BEFORE your first fishing trip.------You need to learn the simple things and do your own maintenance.----Few shops will work on older motors.

Then again the RD-26 is not electric shift.------Perhaps you just have a cowling that says electramatic.------Perhaps you have an electramatic control ( one cable for throttle ) ?-----So without pictures I do not know what you have.----Or is there a shift lever on the starboard side of the lower cowling.-----Is there a belt driven generator ?----Is the gearcase long and pointy ?-----Details are so important.-----Or maybe the model plate is wrong ??-----I could tell in 1 second if I saw this motor !

Then again the RD-26 is not electric shift.------Perhaps you just have a cowling that says electramatic.------Perhaps you have an electramatic control ( one cable for throttle ) ?-----So without pictures I do not know what you have.----Or is there a shift lever on the starboard side of the lower cowling.-----Is there a belt driven generator ?----Is the gearcase long and pointy ?-----Details are so important.-----Or maybe the model plate is wrong ??-----I could tell in 1 second if I saw this motor !

Thank you I will take some pictures and get them posted by sat. I really want to thank you for your reply I know nothing about outboards and trying to wire and get it on my 13 ft Boston whaler
Again thank you

Back