Logo

Newbie question: Are any differences between Chrysler Nissan Diesel SD33 and Patrol 160 series SD33?

patrolier

Hi from Europe!

My name is Max and i´m new here in the Forum.

After hard search in the net, i have found this site in the U.S., awesome
icon_smile.gif
Here in Europe it's not easy to find any sites regarding old Patrol Sites respectively Nissan Marine Engines.

In 2006 i was an owner for one year of a Patrol 160 series with the SD33 Machine, it was a great, reliable motor.

Now it´s time to change my broken Mercedes Benz OM617 from my boat to a Chrysler Marine Diesel or - better for my claims - the automotiv motor from the Patrol. Now i have regarding this a few questions:

- Is the automotive SD33 the same as the SD33 marine engine? (The only thing i know is, that the automotive has 95 HP and the marine 107 HP, right?! Maybe only regulation on the Diesel Pump?!)
- Which diesel-pump was built in all the years?
- Are ALL Parts from the Patrol-Motor convertible to the Marine Motor? From the outside it looks like all same… Used 160 series car parts are not the problem to find here in Europe, but no chance what concernes marinization parts.
- Where there any important, technical motor changes (160 series and/or Chryserl Nissan Diesel) as far as the end of - i think - 1988?
- The automotive 160 series SD33 needed two batteries to start (24 V), is it possible to hang it on one battery, when yes, which modification it needs?
- Which is the ideal compression?
- Which one is a good compression tester (brand) for diesels?
- Does anyone of you have any suppliers of marinization parts in US and/or Canada?

I would be deeply grateful for any Information!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
Internally there is no difference.
The main difference is the marine version has a direct coupled mechanical governor and the automotive is vacuum controlled.
Of course the manifolds are different and you are going to need an oil cooler, heat exchanger and raw water pump and it all has to be plumbed up.
What sort of gearbox are you using?
Here are some pics of my SD33 which is turboed.
Mine is attached to a Chrysler 300 leg and has a bobtail.

Attachments

• Motor Feb 10 001.jpg
    Motor Feb 10 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 444
  • Motor Feb 10 002.jpg
    Motor Feb 10 002.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Motor Feb 10 003.jpg
    Motor Feb 10 003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 394
  • Motor Feb 10 004.jpg
    Motor Feb 10 004.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 371
Hi,

first, thanks for your answer. Wow, your SD looks great and professionally rebuilt!

- Why can i not use the vacuum controlled pump from the automotive?
- Is the mechanical governor from Bosch or Kiki? Which one is the durable?
- What is the difference of the two (marine and automotive) manifolds? The distances from exhaust to exhaust?

Yes, i knew that i would need an heat exchanger, raw water pump and oil cooler, the same parts are in the Mercedes Benz and i think in all marinization automotives. It`s the same system, 2-circle cooling. These parts are the expensivst of the mariniziation...

Also important questions:
- Works the motor very noise and rough?! (I can't remember my Patrol motor…)
- And where there any better technical changes in the last years (both Chrysler and 160 series?) I would prefer one of the latest models.

I have attached three photos of the motor, seller said the the condition of the motor is good, marinization parts for the garbage (rusty). I would take the marinization parts as a patter and would welding it new. The cheapest way i think ;) Fuel lines i must also change i mean, also rusty, but they are in good used condition very cheap here. I could get this motor with all parts for approx. 440 $.

I would fit a ZF 63 A gearbox with 2.7:1, the perfect ratio for 5 and 6 cylinder motors.

View attachment 10579View attachment 10580View attachment 10581

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Are you tossing up between buying the Chrysler motor or converting a Nissan motor?
The Chrysler motor seems to have been reconditioned, as the original colour was yellow.
Rust shouldn't be a problem unless it has been running salt water in the cooling system.
The heat exchanger and the exhaust riser seems to be missing on the Chrysler motor.

It depends on that, which one of the two motors have the "better" technic. I know, you said internally there is no difference. But i haved read, that Chyslers contract with Nissan Diesel Motor, Co. ended about 1979.

But the (automotive) motor was still built on in the 160 series till 1989, and i think there must be any better technic development till 1989, other automotive companies don't sleep :p

The OM617 was a rough, loud motor, i don't want never again a motor like the OM in my boat, never… A (mechanical) injection pump from a newer model makes a big difference, at least at the OM617 motor. I don't know the injector of the Patrol Motor.

The 12 HP difference between this two motors are for me negligible, my boat is a displacer (is this the right, english word?, Oh god, my english…)

For me its likeable the automotive motor, but… only when all Chrysler marinization parts will fit plug&play on the 160 series - also with small modifications.

Hmmm… not easy...

PS: The 107HP - at which RPM there where?

Here is a copy of the original sales brochure on the Chrysler Nissan diesels. It has all the specs on the engines.
I would use the marine engine and refurbish it.
The late model SD33 long block with the oil squirters for piston cooling, would be a bit of an advantage.
The Patrol motor had the vacuum controlled pump to make the throttle less touchy, which is not a problem in a boat.
Nissan made very few changes to an already good motor during it's production life.
Chrysler Nissan.jpgChrysler Nissan 2.jpg

Wow... what a great dinosaur brochure :)

The resolution is very bad, do you have it in better resolution?

When i would decide to rebuilt it, does many parts fit from the older Patrol engine? I think OEM spare parts are very, very hard to find, or?

Did you click on each one to enlarge it? I can read it OK then.
All all parts of the long block of the SD33 are interchangeable.
All you have to do is attach the marine ancillaries.

Yes, did it, no chance to read the measures of the motor. This is important for me, don't know if will fit it my boat.

Can you send me a PM with the photos in original resolution? Over "Insert Image" here, it will automatically resize it to a smaller image.

Interessted… on the brochure stand: "Cyliner Head is special" "One-piece cast alloy-iron". It would be interesting if this would also be for the Patrol-Motor. My point is, when the Cylinder-Head one day is going down, if i could fit the "normally" of the Patrol Motor? But ok, you mean that all parts of the long block are interchangeable.

In Theory: I could use the Patrol Motor and attach the marine ancillaries and change the injection pump from the Chrysler, thats it, right?

My point is: OEM Parts would maybe in reality very, very hard to find for the chrysler - especially here in Europe, maybe more in the States. And when yes, then oversell.

And he has 105 HP at 4000 RPM?

Did you transplanted your motor in the meanwhile in your boat? It would good to know how much is fuel consumption in reality? (I cannot read it on the brochure, too small). 6-Cylinder motor - must be a high consumption...

Greets

I can't send a higher resolution as the file is too big for the forum.
You will have to pm me your email address so I can send the bigger file.
I don't have a torque curve for the motor.
I run at 3500rpm and use 20 ltrs/hr on my boat at 17 knots.

Motor Feb 10 006.jpgNew Turbo Aug 13 001.jpg

Here is a copy of the original sales brochure on the Chrysler Nissan diesels. It has all the specs on the engines.
I would use the marine engine and refurbish it.
The late model SD33 long block with the oil squirters for piston cooling, would be a bit of an advantage.
The Patrol motor had the vacuum controlled pump to make the throttle less touchy, which is not a problem in a boat.
Nissan made very few changes to an already good motor during it's production life.
View attachment 10591View attachment 10592

This does not appear to be a manual for an SD33. What am I missing? Is the engine known by different model numbers?

Also, how can you tell from the specifications: 1) max rpm 2) hp rating 3)WOT?

This does not appear to be a manual for an SD33. What am I missing? Is the engine known by different model numbers?

Also, how can you tell from the specifications: 1) max rpm 2) hp rating 3)WOT?

It is not a manual. It is a sales brochure.
The M6-33 is based on the SD33. It was also known as a CN6-33.
As per the brochure the rated power is 105HP @ 4000rpm.
With the right prop, WOT should be 4400rpm.
I run mine at 3600rpm.

Back