Logo

290 trim issues

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
My outdrive will slowly drop to full down while underway. I usually run at a -2 or 3 but lately after being up on plane for 5 minutes or so it will be all the way down to full down (-6 maybe?) What's the usual cause and fix for a hydraulic trim that slowly drops?
-Robert

Regarding the cylinder itself, the base end hydraulic fluid volume is larger than that of the stem end hydraulic fluid volume (the stem itself consumes volume).
If the pump valves are holding, it's pretty tuff for the base end hydraulic fluid volume to find a place to go.
In other words, it is more likely that your pump valves are not holding.

Regarding the cylinder itself, the base end hydraulic fluid volume is larger than that of the stem end hydraulic fluid volume (the stem itself consumes volume).
If the pump valves are holding, it's pretty tuff for the base end hydraulic fluid volume to find a place to go.

Thanks. How difficult is it to replace the valves?
Thanks,
Robert

Thanks. How difficult is it to replace the valves?
Thanks,
Robert

Robert, if a valve or valve seat has debris in it, it will prevent the valve from seating properly, preventing the cylinders from holding trim.
In many cases the pump valves can be accessed and can be cleaned.

A correction to my previous post.

If the pump valves are holding, it's pretty tuff for the base end hydraulic fluid volume
to find it's way through a leaking cylinder piston seal and find a place to go.

Back