Logo

Engine replacement chevy 350 volvo penta

leeroy

"I've just pulled off the

"I've just pulled off the starboard head on my chevy 350 (Volvo penta 570, 4 barrel holley carb) and it needs at least new pistons (big chunk missing from number 3). There also seems to be a fair bit of internal rust (seawater cooled), head gasket was blown, no oil coming up thru push rods and riser needs replacing... although the head looks in OK condition.
If I replace my engine with a fuel injected engine that has a closed water cooling system, what modifications and/or changes would be required?
Is fuel injected the best way to go?
Will it simply bolt on to the existing bellhousing/flywheel? (Volvo Penta 290dp stern leg)
Will I have to put a fuel pump into the tank like a car?
Anything else?
thanks
Lee."

"Lee, I also have a 350 Chevy

"Lee, I also have a 350 Chevy in my boat (ex-AQ311) with a 4-barrel Holley, and I am happy with the arrangement. Fuel injection may be more efficient, but is not as foolproof and easy to troubleshoot as a carbed system; and that can make a big difference if you have problems a few miles away from port. If you are interested, you may want to have a look at the Seloc manual for 1992-2003 engines, as it has a good description of the fuel injection system components. But whichever way you go (carbed or FI) I would definitely install a closed cooling system.

Chevy 350 engines come with two different flywheel sizes: 12-3/4" and 14". In short, an engine with a 14" flywheel will not fit in the old bellhousing style for the 12-3/4" flysheel, as there will be no room to install the starter.

And no, you won't have to install a fuel pump inside the fuel tank.."

"Thanks for that info.
I'

"Thanks for that info.
I'm thinking that I'll get a reco 350 long with closed water system and rebuild my current one over the next couple of months. Still not sure on the FI as i have no experience with it.

Is it correct to say that whatever chevy 350 I replace mine with that I can just swap the flywheel and bellhousing if they are not the same?

Also, Will I have to do any modifications to my boat for a closed water system?

Now i just have to find a chevy 350 marine engine in New Zealand !!!

Thanks El Pescador, it's great to have a place to get great non-biased answers."

"Lee, the 12-3/4" and a 14

"Lee, the 12-3/4" and a 14" flywheels have different bolt patterns, and so do the crankshafts. It seems that there are aftermarket 12-3/4" flywheels that fit the newer crankshfts (1987 at after).

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/FLYWHEELS/Flywheels

The vibration dampers are also different in size.

If your engine is 1990 or newer, chances are it has the 14" flywheel and the corresponding bellhousing, so I think your best bet would be finding a replacement long block of the same vintage. Make sure you also get the correct camshaft.

Normally, there are no modifications needed in a boat to install a closed cooling system. The one I have is installed on the top front of the engine, but some kits can be mounted on the front side of the engine. Here are some options:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/VOL7B/Fresh+Water+Cooling+Kits+for+Volvo"

"Now that I've taken all t

"Now that I've taken all that onboard, I've decided to have my current engine rebuilt and add a heat exchanger for the closed water cooling system. And while I've got the boat out of the water I may as well defoul and get the sterndrive serviced.
thanks again for your help, it's been invaluable."

Back