Logo

Edelbrock 1409 PVC Fitting Install

mictat2214

Contributing Member
"Drilled & tapped my new 1

"Drilled & tapped my new 1409 Edelbrock to accept PVC hose. Used a 17/64 drill bit & a 1/8 NPT tap. A very, very straightforward & simple procedure. I have tried to attach some pix that I hope will help others in the future. Hope they are readable."

"Tell us the truth, Mike: How

"Tell us the truth, Mike: How nervous were you drilling the hell out of that brand new, $$$ carb!

Jeff

PS: Pix must not be .bmp format and have to be realllllly tiny to upload. Send me the file, if you want, and I'll fix it up for you."

"Hi Jeff... I was pretty nervo

"Hi Jeff... I was pretty nervous about drilling that beauty... Once I realized that the hole does not compromise the fuel area, the heart palpitations stopped... Thanx for the offer... I'll try & figure out how to send the file to you... }"

Click on his username and then

Click on his username and then his e-mail. You can then attach the file and send it. Otherwise you could try and shrink the photo down to the size of a postage stamp and upload it that way.

I ask Edelbrock why the marine carb didn't have a port when the street carb does but he couldn't tell me other than there built to marine regs.

"Mike,
You can use one of man

"Mike,
You can use one of many free picture hosting sites available on the web. I use Picasa only because I am familiar with it. You can have private or public albums that you post the link on your message.
Eddie Zuskin"

"Keeping moisture out of the e

"Keeping moisture out of the engine, moisture that forms acid and slug much faster than in a street car application. A working PCV system is essential in a marine engine or....

B-O-A-T

Jeff"

"Yes it is... However, he said

"Yes it is... However, he said PVC = Poly Vinyl Chloride... Personally I'd be leary of drilling holes and modifying a marine certified carb for warranty and insurance reasons. If I wanted crank venting in that scenario, I'd just clip the crank (or rocker cover) vent line(s) to the flame arrestor inlet."

The old AFB's had the port

The old AFB's had the port but something has changed since then probably. I've seen arrestor's with 2 hose attachments for that reason I suppose.

R.A.F. Sorry about the typo: P

R.A.F. Sorry about the typo: PVC vs PCV ( Positive Crankcase Ventilation ) valve... Mike...

E.Z. Thanx for the advice... I didn't have the patience to try & resize them... Mike...

Conqueror... I took your advice & e-mailed them to Fastjeff... Mike...

Fastjeff... I e-mailed you the pix... Mike...

"For those of you drilling the

"For those of you drilling the holes for the PCV fitting, you got to drill UP as well to open a passage. See the photo of Mike's work below.

Jeff
252751.jpg
"

"Carb. installation complete l

"Carb. installation complete less final choke wiring... Ran engine yesterday on the hose... Vast improvement over the old Carter AFB... Attached are some pics... The one with the arrow shows the bottom of the carb with the hole that needs to be drilled, in relation to the PCV fitting, prior to drilling... See Jeff's post... As stated previously, it is a simple procedure, just proceed slowly... I used a 17/64 bit to drill both holes, & a 1/8 NPT tap for the PCV fitting...Thanx to everyone for your help... Mike...
252827.jpg
1/8NPT tapped hole"">
252828.jpg
PCV fitting installed"">
252829.jpg
PVC fitting installed"">
252830.jpg
17/64 Hole for PCV fitting passage

"Conqueror: Thanx for the kin

"Conqueror: Thanx for the kind words... Were it not for the info that was available on this board, I would not have known exactly how to proceed... I think the 1409's are made lacking a PCV port because the hose/s are now attached to the flame arrestor...Don't have a clue as to the difference... Finished wiring the choke today... attached at the 12V side of the Ballast Resistor... Replaced defective, rotted wiring at the same time & the engine seems to start better & run much better on the hose... Could run differently under a load... Will post some pix of the final install later... Mike..."

"Attached are some pix of the

"Attached are some pix of the final install... being a cheapskate, I enlarged the opening in the original flame arrestor, & was able to use same... Gotta clean up those valve covers... Mike...
252957.jpg
252958.jpg
252959.jpg
"

"To further confuse matters, m

"To further confuse matters, my 260 HP 5.7L Merc w/2bbl has one of each... A hose to the carb base and one to the arrestor! I do believe the rationale for that setup is to allow under certain engine operating condition, i.e., idle or other low blowby situations, air flow INTO the hose at the arrestor, thru the engine and back out into the carb base, which is at a vacuum at idle.
Under high blowby conditions, with low intake manifold vacuum, there is always a slight vacuum at the flame arrestor hose. One way or another... it still sucks :)"

"R.A.F. Check out the first p

"R.A.F. Check out the first pic on the above post. Mine has 2 hoses as you have described. 1 is from a breather attached to the port valve cover, going to the flame arrestor. The other is from the PCV valve located on the starboard valve cover. Mike."

The hose to the flame arrestor

The hose to the flame arrestor is for the air that's coming INTO the engine. The PCV hose takes the air OUT via suction.

I too reused the old flame arrestors. Maybe we're related!

Jeff

My previuos post is in error..

My previuos post is in error... The PCV hose connected to the FRONT of the carb. attaches to the PCV valve located on the PORT valve cover... The hose connected to the flame arrester attaches to a breather located on the STARBOARD valve cover... Sorry for the mix-up...

Jeff... I think frugality has many kin folk...lol... Mike...

Back