Logo

1983 Johnson 35hp

tmac5

Just acquired my late farther in-laws 16' fishing boat. Needs a lot of TLC. Hard to start want run long then want start again for awhile. I'm sure it is flooding out needs some adjusting or over haul. when I in gage the gear no gas. Just idle speed. Is a cable missing? I know little or nothing about outboard engines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you intend to keep that engine for some time, purchase a factory "Bombardier" service manual that is specifically for that engine... ordered via it's model number that you'll find on a small plate on the port (left) transom bracket.

What is that Model number?

It's important to find the single specific Service Manual... NOT... one of those manuals that cover a half dozen engine or more as they will do nothing but confuse you.

If the engine has been sitting for some time, the carburetor is no doubt fouled, gummed, clogged, and will require cleaning and rebuilding..... rebuild/repair kits are available for something like $20 or so.

Basic trouble shooting would be: (spark plugs removed)

*Check compression - What is the compression psi of the individual cylinders?
*Check spark - The spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

You need to explain more clearly.... Example: When engaged in gear, no gas, just idle <-- that doesn't spell the problem out.... As far as anything missing, we wouldn't know unless you explain in detail what you're speaking of.

The fact that you know nothing about outboards doesn't make you a dummy... it's just something new to you, and we'll help whenever we can. Let us know what you find.

when the engine will start I engage the throttle to go forward it engages the propeller but doesn't give it any rpm's. the same in reverse. It's not increasing speed

when the engine will start I engage the throttle to go forward it engages the propeller but doesn't give it any rpm's. the same in reverse. It's not increasing speed

BUT...... Does the engine continue to run at an idle rpm, OR does the engine bog out (dies out & stop?)

Thanks to your input I changed the sparkplugs, did some rewiring, and cleaned out the carburetor and choke. It fired right up and is running great. Thanks again

Okay... This may come in handy too.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thank you for such good advice. I plan on keeping this boat a long time because it belonged to the greatest Father-In-Law that ever lived. Now that he is gone it will remind me of him every time I use it.

Thank you for such good advice. I plan on keeping this boat a long time because it belonged to the greatest Father-In-Law that ever lived. Now that he is gone it will remind me of him every time I use it.

Good man. Whenever you encounter a problem, we'll be here.

Back