Logo

jOHNSON 130, bad reed valve?

henry10ban

Trouble shooting good idle, rough and stall at intermediate, OK at 2000 rpm.

Number one cylinder needs a squirt of gas to keep up the intermediate rpms. I switched carburetors and the same problem at number one. The switched carburetor worked just fine at another location.

I don’t know what else to do other than changing out the reed valve at the bad cylinder.

Good spark, good fuel pressure.

The block at number one cylinder bank gets hotter than number two cylinder bank, like a lean mixture at number one. Good thermostat (switched location of these, too.).

Is it possible to see a reed valve problem with the carburetor off, or should I take the whole intake manifold off for a look?

It is a 1998 looper

Last edited:
The compresion is between 2 or 3 psi of 135. It looked fine to me.

I have the manifold off and ready to inspect the reeds.

My manual has little to say about how to inspect reeds.

At first glance they look OK, but I am about to remove the one I suspect is faulty for a closer look.

The problem I am having is at the intermediate rpm range. Idle is not bad, and if I quickly push the throttle past 2000 rpm she seems to runs ok.

There is a little smoke coming from the suspect cylinder where none is coming from the rest.

I see where people report a stuck reed, what's the procedure for determining if a reed is stuck?

If a reed is not stuck (?) and I see any light at all where there is supposed to be no light I will replace the reed valve.

Thank you for the helpful comeback.

Last edited:
I have never seen a " stuck reed "------------------broken / chipped / bent ones / held open by a screw ---many times.

I found one read with a gap of about .010. Do I replace that one quarter section with the sprung (?) leaf or replace the whole reed assembly?

Last edited:
individual reed blocks are about $140.00------------reeds themselves do not appear to be available.------------Most dealers would have good used reeds on the shelf.

Three of the four reed boxes have some gap at one or two petals. The gaps are about half of the suspect reed box (.005 maybe). Squirtng gas into them has no real effect. Not like the suspect reed box where the rpms will go from an almost stall to 2000 and hold as long as I squirt gas (50:1).

I did switch carbs to make sure that the carb was not the problem.

Except for Boyean Leafs, which cost a bundle, I was not able to find replacement leafs, the matal kind.

Any suggestions how to handle the reed boxes with the smaller gap, and no apparent effect on performance?

I have a new reed box on order ($105.00).

Anyone have a good reed box for sale (zero gaps)?

Last edited:
These reeds are six petals correct? If yes PM me your address I will mail a set out to you...I remove a complete working set from my 140 V4 and replaced with performance reeds from Chris, If you like you can also call Chris he be happy to give you some advise on this ...
http://www.chriscarsonmarine.com

Six petals per side, twelve per reed box. The motor is a 1998 Johnson. 130 HP, 4 cylinder (Reed Box P.N. 0439042, OR 0397336).

Last edited:
I received your PM, How many do you need one reed box or more? I will mail it tomorrow priority mail ...

Last edited:
My problem turned out to be a disconnected oil/check valve hose, item 23. the hose/check valve that goes from engine top to engine bottom.

Back