Logo

Pre alpha trim cylinder bleeding?

805HD

Regular Contributor
Just got done rebuilding both of my trim cylinders, after putting them back on the boat they will raise the drive but it will only lower it a couple inches. Feels a bit squishy.

If if I stand on the drive it will lower while my brother is pushing the button. But will not lower without my weight on it. Once fully collapsed I crack one of the steel braided lines open and get a lot of air burping out..

I know it’s air causing the problem but have repeat the process a handful of times now and I’m not getting anywhere.. beginning to doubt my rebuild.

whats the proper procedure?

Thank you!

Its best to remove the rams from the drive and let them hang down from the transom side and cycle them a few times

Its best to remove the rams from the drive and let them hang down from the transom side and cycle them a few times

i was looking through the manual (probably should have started there lol) it states that the late model systems are self bleeding and early model, I’m assuming pre-alpha are not self bleeding.

following the manuals bleeding procedure I got them moving but the port side ram moves slower then the starboard side ram. This is only after a few cycles with the rams disconnected from the drive and after purging

BUT THE INTRESTING THING IS, when the slightly faster starboard side ram seats at fully collapsed or fully extended the slower port side ram will speed up to normal speed.

the hells going on here?!

Reconnected the aft end of the cylinders, seem to be working just fine.. I guess it makes sense because they are both getting equal amounts of resistance (weight of the drive) now.

Back