Logo

D3-130 engine electrical fault

burkstar

Contributing Member
Hi all
boat has been out all winter. Perfect when I got her out. Put her back in turned on ignition and got the error engine electrical fault service soon.
started the boat, started fine but will only Rev to 2300rpm (limp mode ?)

so far I have cleaned all the terminals I can find including earth and positive, checked batteries are fully charged, checked alternator all ok 14.52v disconnected and re connected batteries, checked turbo activator is ok and still no change.
while it was out during the winter the only work I have done is leg off new bearing and bellows, re bolted down my teleflex top mounted shift and throttle.

any ideas what I can check next, Volvo can't attend to run diagnostic for 2 week so any ideas would be appreciated.

regards

Hi all
boat has been out all winter. Perfect when I got her out. Put her back in turned on ignition and got the error engine electrical fault service soon.
started the boat, started fine but will only Rev to 2300rpm (limp mode ?)

so far I have cleaned all the terminals I can find including earth and positive, checked batteries are fully charged, checked alternator all ok 14.52v disconnected and re connected batteries, checked turbo activator is ok and still no change.
while it was out during the winter the only work I have done is leg off new bearing and bellows, re bolted down my teleflex top mounted shift and throttle.

any ideas what I can check next, Volvo can't attend to run diagnostic for 2 week so any ideas would be appreciated.

regards
If you have an outdrive what is the tilt reading? D3's used to have wonderful feature where the often failing trim sensors would put the engine into safe mode (not 2300rpm though) when the sensor failed. Another possibility would be sticky turbo vanes (is the 130hp D3 still turbo?). The D3 uses those wonderful variable vane turbos and the vane system can stick to either over boost or under boost the engine. I suspect that is why so many D3's have grenaded. If your Volvo dealer is like ours they will tell you to replace the very expensive turbo. Reality is a semi competent DIYer can strip the turbo and clean the vanes if that is the issue. Other issue we had was the crank angle sensor failing.

Thanks for the reply.
The trim sensor issue I had that one long ago and have bypassed / disconnected it
The possible turbo issues make sense and I will start there. Are you saying that if I'm getting 2300rpm out of gear it's not in safe mode? If so it does seem as if it's not boosting.
The crank sensor I guess is somewhere above the fly wheel. Will have a look at that as well.
again thank you for the reply.

Thank very much Aliboy
Checked turbo as best I could, checked activator all ok, remembered I replaced boost sensor about 2 years ago and remembered a purchased a spare on the cheap shortly after. Thought it couldn't be that but worth swapping anyway as it a 5 minute just and that was the problem.
no alarms now and now revs right round to 4.5k

thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the reply.
The trim sensor issue I had that one long ago and have bypassed / disconnected it
The possible turbo issues make sense and I will start there. Are you saying that if I'm getting 2300rpm out of gear it's not in safe mode? If so it does seem as if it's not boosting.
The crank sensor I guess is somewhere above the fly wheel. Will have a look at that as well.
again thank you for the reply.
Hi there
The trim sensor by pass, please show how you did that?
Thanks

Back